Nutrition for Life / Edition 3by Janice J. Thompson, Melinda Manore
Pub. Date: 01/20/2012
Publisher: Benjamin Cummings
Nutrition for Life capitalizes on students’ natural interest in nutrition by demonstrating how it relates directly to their health and daily lives. This book is unique among introductory texts in its presentation of nutrients based on function, rather than chemical classification. Within the vitamins and minerals chapters, micronutrients are organized by their various functions within the body (such as tissue guardians, antioxidants, energy generators, essential electrolytes, mineral power plants, blood fortifiers, bone builders), enabling students to think about them conceptually while also understanding their basic roles in the body. This discourages rote memorization and promotes fuller and more accessible understanding of each micronutrients’ importance. For those instructors who still want their students to understand the traditional chemical organization, the micronutrient chapters include detailed tables and overviews of water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins, and the trace and major minerals.
Beyond the functional approach, Nutrition for Life includes applied features such as Eating Right All Day, Foods You Don’t Know You Love Yet, and new Cooking videos. The Third Edition also includes additional content with engaging new features, fewer Nutri-Cases, and the new MyPlate food patterns and recommendations. The art and photos have also been updated, along with a fresh interior design.
Note: If you are purchasing the standalone text or electronic version, MasteringHealth does not come automatically packaged with the text. To purchase MasteringHealth please visit www.masteringhealthandnutrition.com or you can purchase a package of the physical text + MasteringHealth by searching for 0321982738/ 9780321982735. MasteringHealth is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
- Benjamin Cummings
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.70(d)
Table of Contents
1. Nutrition: Making It Work for You
2. The Human Body: Are We Really What We Eat?
3. Carbohydrates: Plant-Derived Energy Nutrients
4. Fat: An Essential Energy-Supplying Nutrient
5. Proteins: Crucial Components of All Body Tissues
6. Vitamins: Micronutrients with Macro Powers
7. Minerals: Building and Moving Our Bodies
8. Fluid Balance, Water, and Alcohol
9. Achieving and Maintaining a Healthful Body Weight
10. Nutrition and Physical Activity: Keys to Good Health
11. Nutrition Throughout the Life Cycle
12. Nutrition Issues: The Safety and Security of the World’s Food Supply
Answers to Review Questions
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >