Nutrition: Science and Applications / Edition 4by Lori A. Smolin, Mary B. Grosvenor
Pub. Date: 12/27/2002
Ice cream or sorbet, red meat or fish, fruits or pastries, eggs or oatmeal-our lives are filled with choices about what we eat. That's why Lori Smolin and Mary Grosvenor's Nutrition: Science and Applications, 4/E helps you understand how to analyze nutritional information and apply your knowledge to the nutrition issues you face each and every day.
Now updated to include the new Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) published in the fall of 2002, the Fourth Edition offers new and expanded coverage of such cutting-edge nutritional topics as the relationship between genetics and body weight regulation and the ecological impact of genetically modified foods and organic food production. In addition, this edition features a new chapter, Meeting Nutrient Needs: Food Versus Supplements, which discusses the benefits and drawbacks of meeting nutritional needs with foods, fortified foods, and supplements, as well as the role of herbal supplements.
Student Study Guide
Designed to be used alongside Nutrition, 4E this author created study guide provides students with a wealth of mate rial to help ensure that they are successful in the course. Included are chapter outlines, multiple-choice questions, short-answer review questions, and a variety of learning activities.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Fourth Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.54(w) x 10.91(h) x 1.03(d)
Table of ContentsNUTRITION: SORTING FACT FROM FANTASY.
1. Nutrition: Everday Choices.
2. Applying the Science of Nutrition.
3. The Human Body: From Meals to Molecules.
4. Carbohydrates: Sugars, Starches, and Fiber.
5. Lipids: How Much of a Good Thing?
6. Protein: The Privileged Nutrient.
7. Energy Balance and Weight Management.
WATER AND THE MICRONUTRIENTS.
8. The Water-Soluble Vitamins.
9. The Fat-Soluble Vitamins.
10. The Internal Sea: Water and the Major Minerals.
11. The Trace Minerals: Our Elemental Needs.
12. Meeting Our Needs: Food, Fortified Foods, and Supplements.
APPLYING NUTRITION TO LIFE.
13. Fueling Fitness: Nutrition and Exercise.
14. In the Beginning: Nutrition for Mothers and Infants.
15. The Growing Years: Infancy to Adolescence.
16. Nutrition and Aging: The Adult Years.
NUTRITION IN TODAY'S WORLD.
17. How Safe Is Our Food Supply?
18. The Global View: Feedin g the World.
Appendix A: Nutrient Composition of Foods.
Appendix B: Standards for Body Size.
Appendix C: Normal Blood Values of Nutritional Relevance.
Appendix D: Sources of Information on Nutrition.
Appendix E: Canadian Recommendations and Guidelines.
Appendix F: Nutrient Intake Recommendations by the World Health Organization.
Appendix G: U.S. Nutrition Recommendations.
Appendix H: Ethnic Diet Planning Tools.
Appendix I: Exchange Lists.
Appendix J: Food Labeling Information.
Appendix K: Energy Expenditure for Various Activities.
Appendix L: Conversions and Calculations.
Appendix M: Answers to Critical Thinking Exercises.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >