This reader of public press articles contains timely selections from respected journals,newspapers and magazines,and examines the eating patterns of people today,discusses the importance of nutrients and fiber in our diets,looks at how our health is affected by diet throughout our lives,discusses weight management,examines the safety of food and health claims made by today's "specialists," and explores the world's food supply.
UNIT 1. Trends Today and Tomorrow
1. "What We Eat in America" Survey, Nutrition Today, January/February 1997.
2. Are Reduced-Fat Foods Keeping Americans Healthier?, Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter, March 1998.
3. Low-Calorie Sweeteners: Adding Reduced-Calorie Delights to a Healthful Diet, Food Insight, January/February 1998.
4. Are Fruits and Vegetables Less Nutritious Today?, University of California at Berkeley Wellness Letter, May 1998.
5. The Freshness Fallacy, Minna Morse, Health, March 1998.
6. The Truth about Organic 'Certification', Stephen Barrett, Nutrition Forum, March/April 1998.
7. Clearing up Common Misconceptions about Vegetarianism, Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter, April 1998.
8. Doing the DRIs, Stephen Barrett, Nutrition Forum, November/December 1997.
9. An FDA Guide to Dietary Supplements, Paula Kurtzweil, FDA Consumer, September/October 1998.