Nutritional Management of Diabetes Mellitus / Edition 1by Gary Frost
Pub. Date: 08/28/2003
Since the first descriptions of diabetes mellitus by the Ancient Greeks, diet has played a major role in the management of this disease. This has been reinforced over the last 20 years by guidelines on the management of diabetes, which continue to recognise that many people living with diabetes are able to manage their diabetes through their diet. There are few… See more details below
Since the first descriptions of diabetes mellitus by the Ancient Greeks, diet has played a major role in the management of this disease. This has been reinforced over the last 20 years by guidelines on the management of diabetes, which continue to recognise that many people living with diabetes are able to manage their diabetes through their diet. There are few texts that are totally focused on the nutritional management of this condition. Nutritional Management of Diabetes Mellitus discusses the nitritional recommendations for control of blood sugar levels through regulation of food intake. It also highlights the importance of exercise for short and long-term benefits for people with diabetes, particularly if complicated by obesity. This book provides the necessary knowledge for healthcare professionals to adapt the diabetic diet around the medical and individual needs and constraints of the patient. It will be of interest to dietitians, diabetes specialist nurses and diabetes teams as well as other health care professionals. The book features chapters on Nutritional management for diabetic children, elderly and pregnant women The relationship with alcohol The role of carbohydrate in the managment of diabetes Counselling in diabetes
Table of Contents
List of Contributors.
1. Nutritional Recommendations in Diabetes Management (Norma McGough).
2. Diabetes and Physical Activity (Pamela Dyson).
3. Counselling in Diabetes (Tracey Parkin).
4. Dietician and Diabetic: Thoughts on Working and Living with Diabetes (Jo Sutton).
5. The Nutritional Management of Children’s Diabetes (Sheridan Waldron, Peter Swift, Lindsey Oliver and Deborah Foote).
6. An Introduction to Type 2 Diabetes (Gary Frost).
7. The Dietary Management of Diabetic Pregnancies (Anne Dornhorst and Gary Frost).
8. Obesity and Diabetes (Karen Slevin, Jacqueline Cleator and John Wilding).
9. Nutritional Management of Cardiac Risk Factors in Type 2 Diabetes (Audrey Brynes).
10. Nutritional Management of the Elderly Person with Diabetes (Mary Hickson and Lucy Wright).
11. The Role of Carbohydrate in the Management of Diabetes (Janette C Brand-Miller and Susanna H A Holt).
12. Effects of Variations in Amount and Kind of Dietary Fat and Carbohydrate in the Dietary Management of Type 2 Diabetes (Gerald M Reaven).
13. Diabetes and Alcohol (Linda Carter and Joanne Boyle).
14. Inpatient Nutritional Support of Sick Patients with Diabetes (Hilary Peake).
15. Diabetes and Renal Replacement Therapy (Marie Kelly and Thushara Dassanayake).
16. Nutritional Management of Diabetic Renal Transplant Recipients (Barbara Engel).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >