On Cooking: A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals / Edition 3by Sarah Labensky, Alan M. Hause, Steven Labensky
Pub. Date: 07/09/2002
Publisher: Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
Attractively designed and extensively illustrated with color photographs, line drawings, charts and tables, this contemporary introduction to cooking and the culinary arts focuses on, information relevant to today's students. Comprehensive and well written, On Cooking emphasizes an understanding of cooking fundamentals, explores the preparation of fresh/i>
Attractively designed and extensively illustrated with color photographs, line drawings, charts and tables, this contemporary introduction to cooking and the culinary arts focuses on, information relevant to today's students. Comprehensive and well written, On Cooking emphasizes an understanding of cooking fundamentals, explores the preparation of fresh ingredients and provides information on other relevant topics such as culinary history and food science.
- Over 1800 original color photographs and line drawings illustrate preparation and presentation techniques and identify fresh foods and ingredients, tools, and equipment.
- New chapter on Mise en Place explains this important professional conceit and illustrates basic techniques.
- Expanded Principles of Cooking chapter provides step-by-step photographs and explanations for each cooking method.
- Essays and recipes from over 50 prominent chefs, food writers, and food producers allow readers to benefit from the combined expertise of these professionals.
- Over 750 proven, tested recipes from the authors and from numerous chefs working in culinary schools, restaurants, and hotels throughout the country are included. New recipes focus on classic dishes and competency-based skills, giving beginning cooks a strong foundation on which to build.
- Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.58(w) x 11.06(h) x 1.65(d)
Table of Contents
2. Food Safety and Sanitation.
4. Recipes and Menus.
6. Knife Skills.
7. Kitchen Staples.
8. Dairy Products.
10. Principles of Cooking.
11. Stocks and Sauces.
13. Principles of Meat Cookery.
20. Fish and Shellfish.
21. Eggs and Breakfast.
23. Potatoes, Grains and Pasta.
IV. GARDE MANGER.
28. Hors d'oeuvre and Canapés.
30. Quick Breads.
31. Yeast Breads.
32. Pies, Pastries and Cookies.
33. Cakes and Frostings.
34. Custards, Creams, Frozen Desserts and Sauces.
36. Buffet Presentation.
Appendix A:Professional Organizations.
Appendix B: Measurements and Conversions.
Appendix C: Seasonal Availability of Produce.
Bibliography and Recommended Reading.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
An invaluable resource for students, cooks and professional chefs everywhere. A complete work of art!
we got this book as part of our starter package in first quarter. I can barely believe how much information is packed into it-- and fortified with charts and photos and step by step explanations. Definite must-use for a starter, as well as definitely for keeps.
This is the book I have used to get the career I have always wanted all my life. I used this through all my schooling.