On Teaching and Learning: Putting the Principles and Practices of Dialogue Education into Action / Edition 1by Jane Vella, Joanna Ashworth
On Teaching and Learning takes the ideas explored in renowned educator Jane Vella's best-selling book Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach to the next level and explores how dialogue education has been applied in educational settings around the world. Throughout the book, she shows how to put the principles and practices of dialogue education into action and uses… See more details below
On Teaching and Learning takes the ideas explored in renowned educator Jane Vella's best-selling book Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach to the next level and explores how dialogue education has been applied in educational settings around the world. Throughout the book, she shows how to put the principles and practices of dialogue education into action and uses illustrative stories and examples from her extensive travels.
Dialogue education values inquiry, integrity, and commitment to equityvalues that are also central to democracy. Learners are treated as worthy of respect, recognized for the knowledge and experience they bring to the learning experience. Dialogue education emphasizes the importance of safety and belonging. It is an approach that welcomes one's certainties and one's questions.
The principles and practices outlined in On Teaching and Learning can be applied to all levels of education, nonprofit organizations, government, and business. And to meet the demands of today's expanded learning environment, the book includes descriptions of how online courses can reflect the principles and practices of dialogue education.
Drawing on the basic assumption that teaching is for learning, On Teaching and Learning offers teachers a design for good learning, and not merely for good teaching.
Table of Contents
The Author xxix
Part One: Structured 9
1. Why Structure? 11
2. Learning Needs and Resources Assessment 19
3. The Seven Design Steps 31
Part Two: Social 51
4. The Learning Task in a Small Group 53
5. Individual Learning Enhanced 67
Part Three: Sound 81
6. Principles and Practices: Current State of the Art 83
7. Open Questions Invite Dialogue 111
8. The Designer’s Skill: Trust Your Design 117
Part Four: Sure 127
9. Indicators of Learning, Transfer, and Impact 129
10. Impact and the Seven Design Steps 137
Part Five: Synthesis: Putting It All Together 147
11. Putting It All Together: Examples of Dialogue Education Designs 149
12. An On-Line Course Using Dialogue Education 167
13. Dialogue Education in School Leadership 171
14. Dialogue Education in Health Care Settings 191
15. Dialogue Education in a College Classroom 205
Appendix A: Glossary of Terms Used in Dialogue Education 215
Appendix B: Tough Verbs for Learning Tasks 221
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >