The new third edition of Open Minds to Equality is an educator's sourcebook of activities to help students understand and change inequalities based on race, gender, class, age, language, sexual orientation, physical/mental ability, and religion. The activities also promote respect for diversity and interpersonal equality among students, fostering a classroom that is participatory, cooperative, and democratic. An essential resource for teachers, leaders in professional development, and curriculum specialists.
• Ready-to-implement learning activities in both traditional and interdisciplinary curriculum areas.
• An inclusive framework for thinking about diversity and responding practically to various forms of difference in classrooms.
• A variety of lesson styles including role plays, case studies, dilemma stories, cooperative learning activities, interviews, data analysis, and creative and expository writing.
• Sequenced activities to build awareness and understanding.
• An engaging, readable format with helpful instructions.
"An outstanding resource for multicultural education and helping children envision and work toward social justice. This book is theoretically well-grounded, very practical and loaded with information. Every teacher should have a copy of this book."--(Christine Sleeter, author of Multiculturalism as Social Activism)