Optimising Pesticide Use / Edition 1by Michael Wilson
Pub. Date: 07/12/2004
Optimising Pesticide Use is a very broad phrase that can be interpreted in a number of ways. At one extreme it can imply the minimisation and prudent use of pesticides in agriculture and horticulture but can also be interpreted as the complete elimination of their use. However, it is probable, if not certain, that pesticides will continue to play a vital part in… See more details below
Optimising Pesticide Use is a very broad phrase that can be interpreted in a number of ways. At one extreme it can imply the minimisation and prudent use of pesticides in agriculture and horticulture but can also be interpreted as the complete elimination of their use. However, it is probable, if not certain, that pesticides will continue to play a vital part in the safe and economic production of food in the foreseeable future. Notably, outside the developed world, pest control strategies including the use of chemicals are essential for adequate food production and for current human health strategies. In recognising that pesticide use will occur, this work seeks to bring together the wide range of scientific disciplines necessary to ensure best practice through monitoring what is used and improving how it is formulated and applied. The science of 'improving' or developing new chemistries as a means of optimising pesticide use is also touched upon. This book does cover in depth the monitoring of usage, developments in application technology, including specialist and aerial application, handling and dose control and the formulation of pesticides. It then goes on to provide a case study on the development of a new range of active chemistries from bacteria. Rational pesticide use (RPU) is a development of integrated pest management techniques and as such must be considered as a central part of any consideration of optimisation. Finally, this publication concludes with a discussion of complementary pest control methods. Optimising Pesticide Use is the latest addition to the Wiley Series in Agrochemicals and Plant Protection. This series brings together current scientific and regulatory knowledge and perspectives on all aspects of the use of chemicals and biotechnology in agriculture.
- Publication date:
- Wiley Series in Agrochemicals & Plant Protection Series, #8
- Product dimensions:
- 6.42(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.67(d)
Table of Contents
1. Optimising Pesticide Use – Introduction (M. F. Wilson).
2. Pesticide Usage Monitoring (M. R. Thomas).
3. Application Technologies (J. C. van de Zande, C. S. Parkin and A. J. Gilbert).
4. Handling and Dose Control (P. C. H. Miller).
5. Specialised Application Technology (G. A. Matthews).
6. The Aerial Application of Pesticides (N. Woods).
7. Formulating Pesticides (R. Sohm).
8. Rational Pesticide Use: Spatially and Temporally Targeted Application of Specific Products (R. Bateman).
9. Complementary Pest Control Methods (C. H. Bell, D. M. Armitage and B. R. Champ).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >