- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
A revision book aimed at candidates for Part 1 of the MRCPsych exam, giving advice on the new OSCE exam and practice in answering sample OSCEs.
• The first book on a vital new exam for trainee psychiatrists - no known competition.
• Provides much-needed security for candidates unsure of how to cope with a new exam format.
• Sample OSCEs with model answers provide the reader with practice in interview technique.
• The reader is taught how to communicate effectively with the patient, and at the same time how to demonstrate knowledge to the examiners without losing rapport with the patient.
• Lays stress on what not to say in order to avoid alienating either patient or examiner.
Introduction. Collateral history in frontotemporal dmentia. Elicit an alcohol history. Elicit symptoms of mania. Assess suitability for interpersonal psychotherapy. Mini mental State Examination. Assess capacity to consent. Elicit delusions. Elicit symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. Management of lithium toxicity. Management of agoraphobia. Outpatient review in schizophrenia. Explain the need for antipsychotic medication. Call the on-call consultant. Elicit symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Examine cranial nerves. Elicit history of opiate use. Explain lithium augmentation in depression. Assess a patient with early onset dementia. Explain management of bipolar affective disorder. Explain Alzheimer's Disease. Elicit history of eating disorder. Explain antidementia drugs. Assess challenging behaviour. Elicit history of panic attacks. Differentiate depression from dementia. Elicit borderline personality traits. Explain long-term psychoanalytic psychotherapy. Elicit passivity experiences/ Resuscitation. Assess frontal lobe function. Fundoscopy. Explain cannabis and psychosis. Interpret ECG. Elicit hallucinations. Assess premorbid personality. Explain psychogeriatric services. Explain risks of excess alcohol intake. Elicit negative cognition in depression. Assess suicide risk. Explain electroconvulsive therapy. Assess extrapyramidal side effects. Elicit depersonalisation. Assess depression. Explain hyperventilation and panic attacks. Explain antidepressant medication. Explain the Mental Health Act. Testamentary capacity. Risk assessment in puerperal disorder. Assess capacity to refuse treatment. Collateral history in dementia. Explain cognitive behaviour therapy. Physical examination in alcoholism. Explain schizophrenia. Assess risk of violence. Discuss an MRI brain scan report. Explain management of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Interpret ECG and electrolytes. Elicit symptoms of grief. Explain postnatal depression.