The Osler Medical Handbook: Mobile Medicine Series (Handbook with BONUS PocketConsult Handheld Software) / Edition 2by Johns Hopkins Hospital, Jonathan Paul Piccini, Kent R. Nilsson
Written by experts at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, this brand-new 2nd Edition covers all of the essential topics encountered in daily practice. It concisely discusses all diseases and disorders in an easy-to-follow, standardized outline format. Each chapter includes sections on pearls and pitfalls, differential diagnoses, algorithms, and reviews of the most current… See more details below
Written by experts at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, this brand-new 2nd Edition covers all of the essential topics encountered in daily practice. It concisely discusses all diseases and disorders in an easy-to-follow, standardized outline format. Each chapter includes sections on pearls and pitfalls, differential diagnoses, algorithms, and reviews of the most current literature. And, comparative pharmacology tables provide instant access to essential information.
· Uses a consistent format in every chapter that includes Fast Facts · Epidemiology · Clinical Presentation · Diagnostics · Management · Pearls & Pitfalls · and References.
· Presents a wealth of algorithms that aid in diagnosis and management.
· Integrates evidence-based medicine and rationales throughout, with conclusions based on current, key references which are cited at the end of each chapter.
· Discusses co-morbidities in each chapter as well as at-risk populations
· Offers a "Fast Facts" section that provides appendices on lab values · pregnancy and medical therapeutics · drug interactions · IV preparation and administration · drugs in renal failure · immunization therapies · infection control · and critical care formulas.
··New chapter section on critical care.
· Presents 29 new chapters, including Gastrointestinal Disorders in HIV-Positive Patients · Bioterrorism · Acid-Base Disorders · Stroke · Sarcoidosis · Vasculitis · and many more.
· Provides three new dermatology color plates, nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy · bacillary angiomatosis · and molluscum contagiosum that assist in diagnosis.
· Offers a handy, quick-reference summary of ID isolation guidelines.
Table of Contents
PART I ACUTE CARE OF THE ADULT PATIENT
1. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Emergency Management-including management of tachycardias)
3. Care of the Hospitalized Patient
PART II DIAGNOSTIC AND THERAPEUTIC INFORMATION
4. Allergy and Immunology
Acute Myocardial Infarction
Chest Pain - Signs and Symptoms
Chest Pain - ECG
Chest Pain - Cardiac Markers
Congestive Heart Failure and Cardiomyopathy
Pacemakers and Defibrillators
Reperfusion Therapy for Myocardial Infarction
Valvular Heart Diseases
Dermatologic Emergencies (including dermatologic manifestations of systemic disease; rash)
7. Endocrinology and Metabolism
Diabetic Ketoacidosis/Nonketotic Syndrome (includes prevention of diabetes mellitus)
Abdominal Pain (including nonulcerative dyspepsia, IBS, peptic ulcer, gastritis, reflux)
Acute Liver Failure and Metabolic Liver Disease (includes nonviral hepatitis, hepatic failure)
Upper Gastrointestinal Bleed
Lower Gastrointestinal Bleed
10. HIV-Related Infectious Diseases
Acute HIV seroconversion
Pneumocystis carinii Pneumonia
11. Infectious Diseases
Catheter Related Blood Stream Infection
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Soft Tissue Infections and Osteomyelitis
Urinary Tract Infection
12. Nephrology and Electrolytes
Acute Renal Failure
13. Neurology and Psychiatry
Altered Mental Status
Nutritional Supplementation and Management of Fluids
Oncologic Emergencies (including cord compression, hyperviscosity syndromes, acute leukemic blastoma, tumor lysis syndrome)
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Hypercarbic Respiratory Failure
Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure
Interstitial Lung Disease
Mechanical Ventilation (respiratory failure)
Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome
Pulmonary Function Tests
Pulse Oximetry and Arterial Blood Gas Interpretation
Systemic Lupus Erythematosis
Alcoholic Withdrawal and Ketoacidosis (including other withdrawals, eg, heroin)
PART III FORMULARY
PART IV FAST FACTS AND FORMULAS
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >