Pain: Clinical Manual / Edition 2by Margo McCaffery, Chris Pasero
Pub. Date: 01/01/1999
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
PAIN: CLINICAL MANUAL provides practical tools and guidelines for treating patients' pain in all clinical settings and age groups. This useful resource features ready-to-use, reproducible pain rating scales, guidelines, forms, and patient medication information handouts. Comprehensive pharmacologic chapters discuss the three groups of analgesics, dose titration
PAIN: CLINICAL MANUAL provides practical tools and guidelines for treating patients' pain in all clinical settings and age groups. This useful resource features ready-to-use, reproducible pain rating scales, guidelines, forms, and patient medication information handouts. Comprehensive pharmacologic chapters discuss the three groups of analgesics, dose titration, drug combinations, routes of administration, and prevention of side effects. Additionally, it includes pain rating scales in over 20 languages and quick guides with illustrations of selected pain problems. PAIN: CLINICAL MANUAL is a valuable resource for anyone who cares for patients with pain.
* Provides ready-to-use forms and recommendations for pain care committees to assist health care facilities to prepare for JCAHO inspections.
• Includes two FREE pocket-size, laminated cards: equianalgesic charts to assist clinicians with dose calculations when changing routes of administration or analgesics, and dosing guides to commonly used adjuvants and nonopioids.
• Includes FREE access to Mosby's PAIN WEBSITE.
• The most clinically useful book ever published on pain, written by authorities who helped establish the pain management movement.
• Includes 11 new chapters and five expanded and updated chapters to provide the most accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive pain management information.
• Includes icons to alert the reader to important, need-to-know information, such as pediatric content, patient examples, and reproducible material.
• Features over 200 boxes and tables to help quickly locate key information and apply complex concepts at the bedside.
• Presents a unique, multidisciplinary perspective.
• Provides ready-to-use, practical, proven, and reproducible tools, pain assessment and documentation forms, and guides to analgesic use.
• Contains patient information handouts on analgesics and nondrug methods of pain relief to educate the patient/family/caregiver about the patient's specific pain management.
• Includes reproducible key policies, procedures, and protocols to assist the clinician in implementing patient focused interdisciplinary pain management.
• Presents pharmacology content in four chapters - the three analgesic groups and an overview of how to combine them - to provide a readily understandable reference and practical resource.
• Includes quick guides with illustrations of selected pain problems, such as pain related to sickle cell disease, peripheral neuropathy, and fibromyalgia.
• Contains pain rating scales in over 20 languages to enhance patient/clinician communication in culturally diverse populations.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.82(w) x 10.78(h) x 1.24(d)
Table of Contents
Pain Management: Problems and Progress · Basic Mechanisms Underlying the Causes and Effects of Pain (new) · Assessment: Underlying Complexities, Misconceptions, and Practical Tools · Overview of the Three Groups of Analgesics (new) · Acetaminophen and Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (new) · Opioid Analgesics (new) · Adjuvant Analgesics (new) · Procedural Pain Management (new) · Practical Non-drug Approaches to Pain · Substance Abuse (new) · Chronic Nonmalignant Pain · Selected Pain Problems (new) · Pregnancy, Childbirth, Postpartum, and Breast Feeding: Use of Analgesics (new) · Pain in Infants (new) · Pain in the Elderly · Building Institutional Commitment to Improving Pain Management (new) · Appendixes (new) · Web Sites (new) · Opioid Contracts (new) · Terminology (new)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >