Paramedic Practice Today - Volume 1: Above and Beyondby Barbara J Aehlert
Pub. Date: 01/30/2009
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Providing the tools you need to succeed, Volume 1 of Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond offers a solid foundation for paramedic practice. A conversational, easy-to-read style simplifies topics and helps you master National Standard Curriculum objectives and meet the new National Education Standards. It includes a companion DVD-ROM with step-by-step videos… See more details below
Providing the tools you need to succeed, Volume 1 of Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond offers a solid foundation for paramedic practice. A conversational, easy-to-read style simplifies topics and helps you master National Standard Curriculum objectives and meet the new National Education Standards. It includes a companion DVD-ROM with step-by-step videos demonstrating the skills in the textbook and more. Because this book corresponds to the National Registry of EMTs National EMS Practice Analysis, it provides you with the best possible preparation for the National Registry exam.
- Unique! The new National Education Standards are referenced, as well as the National Standard Curriculum objectives.
- Unique! This textbook addresses the tasks in the NREMT 2004 National EMS Practice Analysis, which is the foundation for the NREMT exam.
- Four-part case scenarios appear in each chapter, and emphasize patient comfort and care: 1) an introduction sets up the scenario and asks questions, 2) the scenario continues, following the treatment of the patient and asking more questions, 3) the conclusion resolves the scenario and asks more questions, looking back on decisions that you’ve made, and 4) the summary answers all of the questions presented in parts 1-3.
- 35 skill sequences show each action with illustrated, step-by-step instructions.
- A companion DVD-ROM shows video clips of key skills in the book, along with medical animations, lectures, and skills video clips from other Elsevier titles.
- Pediatric Pearl boxes call attention to the differences for pediatric patients.
- Geriatric considerations are highlighted in special boxes to draw attention to the differences for elderly patients.
- Cultural Considerations boxes highlight helpful tips for interacting with people of various cultures.
- Paramedic Pearl boxes highlight important information from the text.
- An anatomy and physiology review begins chapters as needed, and for specific conditions, those chapters also include a description/definition, etiology, epidemiology and demographics, history, physical findings, differential diagnosis, therapeutic interventions, patient/family education, and prehospital pearls.
- Chapter Summaries are bulleted to help you review important information.
- Key Terms are defined in the terminology section at the end of each chapter for easy review before exams.
- Quizzes end each chapter, with answers and rationales at the back of the textbook.
- Unique tools include a plastic heart rate ruler and a laminated 12-lead placement card.
- A comprehensive index and 2,222-term glossary cover all the content in Volumes 1 and 2, allowing you to quickly find key terms and topics.
- Herbal and drug indexes cover 50 herbal supplements and approximately 100 drugs.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.90(w) x 11.10(h) x 2.40(d)
Table of ContentsDivision 1: Preparatory
1. EMS Safety and Well-Being of the Paramedic
2. Paramedic Roles and Responsibilities
3. Illness and Injury Prevention
4. Legal and Regulatory Issues
6. Medical Terminology Review
7. Body Systems: Anatomy and Physiology
9. Life Span Development
10. Public Health and EMS
Division 2: Pharmacology
11. Basic Principles of Pharmacology
12. Drug and Chemical Classes
13. Medication Administration
Division 3: Airway Management and Ventilation
14. Airway and Ventilation
Division 4: Patient Assessment
15. Therapeutic Communication
16. History Taking
17. Patient Assessment
Division 5: Medical
20. Head, Ear, Eye, Nose, and Throat Disorders
22. Cardiovascular Disorders
23. Disorders of the Nervous System
24. Endocrine Emergencies and Nutritional Disorders
25. Immune System Disorders
26. Gastrointestinal Disorders
27. Renal and Urogenital Disorders
28. Musculoskeletal Disorders
29. Cutaneous Disorders
31. Infectious and Communicable Diseases
32. Psychiatric Disorders and Substance Abuse
33. Hematologic Disorders
Division 6: Shock
34. Shock and Resuscitation
A. Quiz Answers
B. Drug Profiles
C. Herbal Supplements
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >