The Parthenonby Mary Beard
Pub. Date: 02/20/2003
Publisher: Harvard University Press
This book conducts readers through the storied past and towering presence of the most famous building in the world. Who built the Parthenon, and for what purpose? How are we to understand its sculpture? Why is it such a compelling monument? The classicist and historian Mary Beard offers readers the ultimate tour of the marvelous history and present state of this glory of the Acropolis, and of the world.
Table of Contents
- 1. Why the Parthenon Might Make You Cry
- 2. ‘The Temple They Call the Parthenon’
- 3. ‘The Finest Mosque in the World’
- 4. ‘From Ruin to Reconstruction’
- 5. ‘The Golden Age of Athens’?
- 6. Meanwhile, Back in London…
- Making a Visit?
- Further Reading
- List of Illustrations
- List of Figures
- Greek Names
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >