- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Pueblo West, CO
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
This example-rich reference fosters a smooth transition from elementary ordinary differential equations to more advanced concepts. Asmar's relaxed style and emphasis on applications make the material accessible even to readers with limited exposure to topics beyond calculus. Encourages computer for illustrating results and applications, but is also suitable for use without computer access. Contains more engineering and physics applications, and more mathematical proofs and theory of partial differential equations, than the first edition. Offers a large number of exercises per section. Provides marginal comments and remarks throughout with insightful remarks, keys to following the material, and formulas recalled for the reader's convenience. Offers Mathematica files available for download from the author's website. A useful reference for engineers or anyone who needs to brush up on partial differential equations.
1. A Preview of Applications and Techniques.
2. Fourier Series.
3. Partial Differential Equations in Rectangular Coordinates.
4. Partial Differential Equations in Polar and Cylindrical Coordinates.
5. Partial Differential Equations in Spherical Coordinates.
6. Sturm-Liouville Theory with Engineering Applications.
7. The Fourier Transform and Its Applications.
8. The Laplace and Hankel Transforms with Applications.
9. Finite Difference Numerical Methods.
10. Sampling and Discrete Fourier Analysis with Applications to Partial Differential Equations.
11. An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.
12. Green's Functions and Conformal Mappings.
Appendix A: Ordinary Differential Equations: Review of Concepts and Methods.
Appendix B: Tables of Transforms.
Answers to Selected Exercises.
Posted February 20, 2010
I bought this book specifically because I had not been able to find a good book to explain Green's Functions. A friend of mine had this book and I was impressed by the chapter on Green's Functions so I bought a copy for myself and it's a great addition to my library.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.