Read an Excerpt
ENTERTAINING OUTSIDE THE HOME
When planning a party in a restaurant or other commercial establishment, there are a few simple things that can get the party started right:
• Request a special area for your guests to gather and enjoy a pre-dinner drink.
• Ask the restaurant to have some nibbles on the table as people are seated. Fresh bread or a selection of dips and vegetables are good options because these can be served at room temperature.
• If you are serving more than eight people, pre-select two or three options for them to choose from to make the ordering and serving of dinner more efficient.
• Pre-order a selection of desserts for your guests to enjoy. No one will want to be the first to order a dessert, but if you arrange for a tray of desserts to be on the table, most people will have a few bites.
• If you are hiring help, you will need one bartender per 50 drinks for an open bar. If you are serving only wine and champagne, you can have one bar tender per 75 drinks.
MIND YOUR MANNERS
Send your waiter the message that you are ready to order by closing your menu or turning it over on the table.
PLATES SHOULD BE SERVED FROM THE LEFT AND REMOVED FROM THE RIGHT.