- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Patent or Perish shows how companies like HP and Lexmark use patents (and other intellectual properties) to create highly profitable computer printer business models - and keep competitors at bay.
The creation and protection of intellectual property is essential to survival of high-tech firms. This book explains the value of knowledge and why you have to protect it. It explores the dichotomy between traditional patenting and licensing strategies that are focused on discrete technologies, and how to apply these strategies in complex technologies.
Patent or Perish will help any high technology firm make better decisions regarding what patents to file: you will learn what makes a valuable patent, and, more importantly, what doesn't.
You will learn how to view patents as part of overall business strategy. Most important, you will learn practical strategies for how to use patents to create and defend strong market positions.
Some of the most important topics featured are:
- How companies like HP and Lexmark use patents to create the highly profitable computer printer business
- Why Open Source is a threat to small and independent software developers
- Why the invention strategy fails
- When filing fewer patents can be better
- How to determine the value of a patent