Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children / Edition 4by Kathryn L. McCance
Pub. Date: 11/28/2001
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Well-known for its authoritative and comprehensive coverage, complete treatment of pediatric pathophysiology, and the most extensive illustration program in its field, the 5th edition of this classic book has been extensively revised and updated. Part One presents the general principles of pathophysiology and discusses the influence of the environment and the role… See more details below
Well-known for its authoritative and comprehensive coverage, complete treatment of pediatric pathophysiology, and the most extensive illustration program in its field, the 5th edition of this classic book has been extensively revised and updated. Part One presents the general principles of pathophysiology and discusses the influence of the environment and the role of genetics in the development of disease. Part Two, organized by body system, examines normal anatomy and physiology, alterations of function in adults, and alterations of function in children.
• Comprehensive coverage provides unparalleled discussion of disease processes.
• Extensive full-color art program illustrates disease processes and clinical manifestations of diseases.
• Life span content includes ten separate chapters for the pediatric content and special headings for aging content within the structures and functions chapters.
• "What's New?" boxes highlight the most current research and findings.
• "Nutrition and Disease" boxes show evidenced-based links between concepts of health promotion and disease.
• Algorithms throughout the text illustrate the sequential progression of disease processes.
• Detailed chapter outlines with page numbers provide easy access to content and overview of topics.
• Chapter introductions provide a rationale for learning the content about to be presented.
• Consistent presentation of each disease includes epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment.
• Key terms are highlighted in each chapter and listed with page numbers for easy reference and chapter review.
• Chapter summaries provide concise synopses of key points and serve as a built-in content review.
• An "Introduction to Pathophysiology" provides an entrance to the study of disease and defines basic terms.
• More than 90 "What's New?" boxes present the most current research available.
• Includes approximately 310 new full-color illustrations.
• A new companion CD-ROM with over 750 review questions and answers and 20 animations.
• Now includes a comprehensive glossary of approximately 1,200 terms to help students with the often difficult terminology related to pathophysiology.
• Infection content is presented in a separate chapter to better organize content on mechanisms of self-defense.
• Extensive revisions and updates of every chapter, particularly: inflammation and immunity, stress, cancer, pain, the reproductive system, and urinary and renal systems alterations.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.74(w) x 11.40(h) x 2.04(d)
Table of Contents
|2||Altered cellular and tissue biology||45|
|3||The cellular environment : fluids and electrolytes, acids and bases||93|
|4||Genes and genetic diseases||123|
|5||Genes, environment - life-style, and common diseases||157|
|6||Innate immunity : inflammation||175|
|8||Alterations in immunity and inflammation||249|
|10||Stress and disease||311|
|11||Biology of cancer||333|
|12||Tumor invasion and metastasis||375|
|13||Cancer in children||403|
|14||Structure and function of the neurologic system||411|
|15||Pain, temperature regulation, sleep, and sensory function||447|
|16||Concepts of neurologic dysfunction||491|
|17||Alterations of neurologic function||547|
|18||Neurobiology of schizophrenia, mood disorders, and anxiety disorders||605|
|19||Alterations of neurologic function in children||623|
|20||Mechanisms of hormonal regulation||655|
|21||Alterations of hormonal regulation||683|
|22||Structure and function of the reproductive systems||735|
|23||Alterations of the reproductive systems||771|
|24||Sexually transmitted infections||863|
|25||Structure and function of the hematologic system||893|
|26||Alterations of erythrocyte function||927|
|27||Alterations of leukocyte, lymphoid, and hemostatic function||955|
|28||Alterations of hematologic function in children||999|
|29||Structure and function of the cardiovascular and lymphatic systems||1029|
|30||Alterations of cardiovascular function||1081|
|31||Alterations of cardiovascular function in children||1147|
|32||Structure and function of the pulmonary system||1181|
|33||Alterations of pulmonary function||1205|
|34||Alterations of pulmonary function in children||1249|
|35||Structure and function of the renal and urologic systems||1279|
|36||Alterations of renal and urinary tract function||1301|
|37||Alterations of renal and urinary tract function in children||1337|
|38||Structure and function of the digestive system||1353|
|39||Alterations of digestive function||1385|
|40||Alterations of digestive function in children||1447|
|41||Structure and function of the musculoskeletal system||1471|
|42||Alterations of musculoskeletal function||1497|
|43||Alterations of musculoskeletal function in children||1547|
|44||Structure, function, and disorders of the integument||1573|
|45||Alterations of the integument in children||1609|
|46||Shock, multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, and burns in adults||1625|
|47||Shock, multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, and burns in children||1655|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >