Pediatric Allergy: Principles and Practiceby Donald Y. M. Leung, Hugh Sampson, Raif Geha, Stanley J. Szefler
Pediatric Allergy supplies the comprehensive guidance you need to diagnose, manage, and treat virtually any type of allergy seen in children. Drs. Leung, Sampson, Geha, and Szefler present the new full-color second edition, with coverage of the diagnosis and management of anaphylaxis, the immune mechanisms underlying allergic disease, the latest diagnostic tests,
Pediatric Allergy supplies the comprehensive guidance you need to diagnose, manage, and treat virtually any type of allergy seen in children. Drs. Leung, Sampson, Geha, and Szefler present the new full-color second edition, with coverage of the diagnosis and management of anaphylaxis, the immune mechanisms underlying allergic disease, the latest diagnostic tests, and more.
- Treat the full range of pediatric allergic and immunologic diseases through clinically focused coverage relevant to both allergists and pediatricians.
- Understand the care and treatment of pediatric patients thanks to clinical pearls discussing the best approaches.
- Easily refer to appendices that list common food allergies and autoantibodies in autoimmune diseases.
- Apply the newest diagnostic tests available-for asthma, upper respiratory allergy, and more-and know their benefits and contraindications.
- Treat the allergy at its source rather than the resulting reactions through an understanding of the immune mechanisms underlying allergic diseases.
- Get coverage of new research that affects methods of patient treatment and discusses potential reasons for increased allergies in some individuals.
- Better manage potential anaphylaxis cases through analysis of contributing facts and progression of allergic disease.
- Effectively control asthma and monitor its progression using the new step-by-step approach.
- Eliminate difficulty in prescribing antibiotics thanks to coverage of drug allergies and cross-reactivity.
-Respiratory Care,March 2004:vol.49 No3
Description: This new book brings readers up-to-date with the forever expanding field of allergy/immunology. It is unusually current with present-day concerns (for example, inner city asthma the hygiene hypothesis). In addition, it gives pediatricians practical advice on common and often misunderstood problems, such as food allergy and the child with recurrent infections. The highlighted key concepts boxes in each chapter are especially helpful.
Purpose: In a well organized manner, the book meets the author's goal of giving the reader the latest understanding of mechanisms of action of allergic disease as it affects the skin, GI tract, and respiratory system in particular as well as current treatment of the pediatric patient with atopy. Other books on pediatric allergy lack the detail provided here on treatment approaches especially for immunodeficiency, food allergy, atopic dermatitis, and drug allergy.
Audience: This book is targeted to clinicians taking care of children. It will also prove invaluable to the pediatric allergist. Dr. Leung brings his award-winning skills as editor of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology to this book as he synthesizes interesting and well written chapters from many foremost authors in their subspecialty fields.
Features: Perhaps most noteworthy is the thoroughness with which asthma is covered in a dozen chapters including inner city asthma, infants and asthma, and athletes with asthma. Food allergy is covered in nine chapters including feeding problems with infants and toddlers and atopic dermatitis and food allergy. In addition, the book is an excellent resource for practical advice on management of drug allergy and the latest understanding of immune deficiency. Other chapters on rheumatology, ocular disease, and latex allergy are especially well written and informative.
Assessment: The number of top-notch contributors, wide coverage of current topics, and the focus on immunopathology and treatment help this book to far outshine others in the field.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 12 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >