Pediatric Primary Care / Edition 5by Catherine E. Burns, Ardys M. Dunn, Margaret A. Brady, Nancy Barber Starr, Catherine G. Blosser
Pub. Date: 03/09/2012
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Covering the full spectrum of health conditions seen in the primary care of children, Pediatric Primary Care, 5th Edition emphasizes both prevention and management from the unique perspective of the Nurse Practitioner. Written by an expert editor/contributor team, it provides in-depth, evidence-based guidance for assessing and managing health/b>/sup>
Covering the full spectrum of health conditions seen in the primary care of children, Pediatric Primary Care, 5th Edition emphasizes both prevention and management from the unique perspective of the Nurse Practitioner. Written by an expert editor/contributor team, it provides in-depth, evidence-based guidance for assessing and managing health problems in children from infancy through adolescence. Other key topics include developmental theory, the health status of children today, issues of daily living, and cultural considerations.
• Four-part organization includes an introductory unit, plus units on child development, the health management of children, and diseases and disorders common to childhood.
UNIQUE! Functional health patterns framework in Unit Three provides a lens for discussing health promotion through the various components of healthy living.
• UNIQUE! ICD framework in Unit Four addresses the classification used to code diseases in both hospital and outpatient settings.
• UNIQUE! Practice management chapter provides need-to-know information on managing a private healthcare practice, including issues of productivity, compliance with applicable laws, quality-of-care indicators, and successful business practices.
• UNIQUE! Environmental health chapter offers evidence-based content on the effects of environmental toxicants, such as tobacco smoke, heavy metals, and air pollutants.
• An 8-page color insert presents over 40 photos that visually demonstrate key assessment findings for ear, skin, and other conditions.
• NEW! Pediatric Pain Management chapter addresses the increased recognition of pain as the "fifth vital sign" with expanded coverage of acute and chronic pain management in children.
• Extensively revised and updated genetics chapter presents a new paradigm for addressing genetic considerations in clinical practice, including an introduction to epigenetics.
• Increased emphasis on health disparities explores the growing health disparities among children in the U.S and worldwide and provides strategies to help patients and parents gain accessibility to health care resources.
• NEW! Content on implementing a "medical home" explores the trend toward family-centered coordinated health care and fosters appropriate treatment for children with chronic disease.
• NEW! Updated coverage takes a more global approach, exploring the health status of children outside the U.S.
• Expanded imaging content offers valuable guidance on using various imaging modalities, including how to prepare the child for diagnostics.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.76(w) x 11.26(h) x 1.86(d)
Table of Contents
Unit One: Pediatric Primary Care Foundations
- Health Status of Children: Global and Local Perspectives
- Child and Family Health Assessment
- Cultural Perspectives for Pediatric Primary Care
- Developmental Management in Pediatric Primary Care
- Developmental Management of Infants
- Developmental Management of Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Developmental Management of School-Age Children
- Developmental Management of Adolescents
- Introduction to Functional Health Patterns and Health Promotion
- Elimination Patterns
- Physical Activity and Sports for Children and Adolescents
- Sleep and Rest
- Cognitive-Perceptual Disorders: Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Learning Problems, Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Blindness and Deafness
- Self-Perception Issues
- Role Relationships
- Coping and Stress Tolerance: Mental Health and Illness
- Values and Beliefs
- Introduction to Disease Management
- NEW! Pediatric Pain Management
- Infectious Diseases and Immunizations
- Atopic and Rheumatic Disorders
- Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
- Hematologic Disorders
- Neurologic Disorders
- Eye Disorders
- Ear Disorders
- Cardiovascular Disorders
- Respiratory Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Dental and Oral Disorders
- Genitourinary Disorders
- Gynecologic Disorders
- Dermatologic Disorders
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Perinatal Conditions
- Common Injuries
- Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Issues
- Complementary Medicine
- Strategies for Managing a Health Care Practice
Unit Two: Management of Development
Unit Three: Approaches to Health Management in Pediatric Primary Care
Unit Four: Approaches to Disease Management
A. Medications in Pediatric Practice
B. Growth Charts
C. Normal Laboratory Values
D. Additional Resources
E. Discussion Questions
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >