Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit / Edition 2by Jeremy Faircloth, Chris Hurley
Pub. Date: 11/30/2007
Publisher: Elsevier Science
Penetration testing a network requires a delicate balance of art and science. A penetration tester must be creative enough to think outside of the box to determine the best attack vector into his own network, and also be expert in using the literally hundreds of tools required to execute the plan. This second volume adds over 300 new pentesting applications included with BackTrack 2 to the pen tester's toolkit. It includes the latest information on Snort, Nessus, Wireshark, Metasploit, Kismet and all of the other major Open Source platforms.
• Perform Network Reconnaissance Master the objectives, methodology, and tools of the least understood aspect of a penetration test.
• Demystify Enumeration and Scanning Identify the purpose and type of the target systems, obtain specific information about the versions of the services that are running on the systems, and list the targets and services.
• Hack Database Services Understand and identify common database service vulnerabilities, discover database services, attack database authentication mechanisms, analyze the contents of the database, and use the database to obtain access to the host operating system.
• Test Web Servers and Applications Compromise the Web server due to vulnerabilities on the server daemon itself, its unhardened state, or vulnerabilities within the Web applications.
• Test Wireless Networks and Devices Understand WLAN vulnerabilities, attack WLAN encryption, master information gathering tools, and deploy exploitation tools.
• Examine Vulnerabilities on Network Routers and Switches Use Traceroute, Nmap, ike-scan, Cisco Torch, Finger, Nessus, onesixtyone, Hydra, Ettercap, and more to attack your network devices.
• Customize BackTrack 2
Torque BackTrack 2 for your specialized needs through module management, unique hard drive installations, and USB installations.
• Perform Forensic Discovery and Analysis with BackTrack 2
Use BackTrack in the field for forensic analysis, image acquisition, and file carving.
• Build Your Own PenTesting Lab Everything you need to build your own fully functional attack lab.
- Elsevier Science
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.30(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.70(d)
Table of ContentsDefining the Scope ISSAF and OSSTMM Metasploit v3
Kismet IDS Toolkits: WireShark, Snort, Nessus Tools: Bluebugger, Wyd, SIPcrack Fuzzing Tools Testing Web Applications Botnets
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
This book with the CD enclosed is great, the book gives you BackTrack 2 lve cd which includes all of the needed tools to conduct your own pen testing. The only draw back is that the book does not go into detail about how to use alot of the 'goodies' on the cd, but its up to you to try out! I have read many books on the subject and nothing beats it yet!