Read an Excerpt
Maple Grove Cemetery
Main Street, south of the junction with Church Street
The main street in the village of Hoosick Falls (population 3,500) leads south to the cemetery (circa 1854), which lies on both sides of the road. The new part is on the left (east) side, marked by stone pillars, trimly shaped evergreen bushes, and a bronze name plaque. The pastoral scene is straight out of a Grandma Moses painting: neat, grassy mounds; a scattering of oaks and other trees; a road winding upward to a hilltop; scores of well-kept headstones and a few mausoleums; and nineteenth-century statuary.
Note the somber headstone of Ruth Sprague (1807-1816), which bears these words:
"dau. of Gibson & Elizabeth Sprague, died Jan. 11, 1816; aged 9 years 4 mo's & 3 days. She was stolen from the grave by Roderick R. Clow & dissected at Dr. P. M. Armstrong's office in Hoosick, N.Y., from which place her mutilated remains were obtained & deposited here. Her body dissected by fiendish Men, her bones anatomised, her soul we trust has risen to God where few Physicians rise." This sorry tale is a grim reminder that grave-robbing for medical purposes was not unusual in the nineteenth century.