- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Cocoa, FL
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
This is a collection of original essays on a wide variety of topics on religion in the United States, covering both historical and contemporary times, by the most exciting scholars working in the field today.
Part I: Religious Diversity and Pluralism: Introduction:.
1. Historicizing Religion in the American West: Laurie Maffly-Kipp (University of North Carolina).
2. Religious Innovation at the Edges: Stephen J. Stein (Indiana University).
3. Diversity and the Pluralist Ideal: William R. Hutchison (Harvard University).
4. Pluralism and American Religious Life in the Later Twentieth Century: Charles H. Lippy (University of Tennessee).
Part II: Religious Roots of American Culture. Introduction:.
5. Anglicanism in Colonial Viriginia: David L. Holmes (College of William and Mary).
6. The Puritan Legacy in American Religion and Culture: Amanda Porterfield (University of Wyoming).
7. Religion and the Culture of the Market in Early New England: Mark Valeri (Union Theological Seminary, Virginia).
Part III: Religious Cultures in Transition:.
8. Early American Methodism: Russell Richey (Duke University).
9. Synagogues and the 'Spiritual Depression' in the 1930s: Beth Wenger (University of Pennsylvania).
10. Shifting Ground and the Third Transformation of Mormonism: Philip Barlow (Hanover College).
11. American Catholics in the Twentieth Century: Mary Jo Weaver (Indiana University).
Part IV: Popular and Material Culture. Introduction:.
12. Architecture and Urban Revivalism in Nineteenth Century America: Jeanne H. Kilde (Macalester College).
13. Post-Modern Sites of Catholic Sacred Materiality: Leonard Norman Primiano (Cabrini College).
14. Food and Eating in American Religious Cultures: Daniel Sack (Material History of American Religion Project).
15. Fasting, Dieting and the Body in American Christianity: R. Marie Griffith (Princeton University).
16. The Bible and Serpent-Handling: Bill Leonard (Wake Forest University).
Part V: Race and Ethnicity: .
17. Race and Religion in Nineteenth Century America: Joan Bryant (Brandeis University).
18. The Rise of African-American Evangelicalism in American Culture: Albert G. Miller (Oberlin College).
19. Religion and Culture Change in Native North America: Michael McNally (Eastern Michigan University).
Part VI: Gender and Family. Introduction:.
20. Reform, Gender and the Boundaries of American Judaism: Karla Goldman (Hebrew Union College).
21. Women and Protestantism in Nineteenth Century America: Carolyn Haynes (Miami University).
22. Religious Individualism in Nineteenth Century American Families: Anne C. Rose (Penn State University).
Part VII: Intellectual and Literary Culture. Introduction:.
23. Jonathan Edwards on the Relation Between Hypocrisy and the Religious Life: Ava Chamberlain (Wright State University).
24. The Connecticut Culture of Revivalism: Mary Kupiec Cayton (Miami University).
25. Trust and Confidence in American Religious History: Leigh Eric Schmidt (Princeton University).
26. The Religion of Humanity in Victorian America: Lawrence W. Snyder, Jr (Western Kentucky University).
27. American Catholic Culture in the Twentieth Century: Paula M. Kane (University of Pittsburgh).