The rational way to learn philosophy
Philosophy DeMYSTiFied covers all five sub-disciplines of philosophy—logic, metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, and political philosophy. The book features the tried-and-true DeMYSTiFied format of clear writing, quizzes, and tests, along with the authors’ own sidebars such as fun facts, cautions, and topical discussions. The result is a deep immersion in philosophy without the pain of a confusing, expensive text.
Learning philosophical topics and philosophical reasoning can be a wholly new experience, causing you to think in ways that you may have never thought before. Along with this new way of thinking, however, comes mystification—and frustration. Thus, a companion book such as this one does exactly what it claims to do: it DeMYSTiFies the discipline of philosophy, and even makes it enjoyable for a new-comer.
Philosophy DeMYSTiFied features:
- “Topical talks” sections in which the authors offer various questions and topics for discussion and debate
- “Critical caution” icons, pointing out common mistakes to avoid in thinking about some philosophical topics
- Chapter-opening objectives offering insight into what you’re going to learn in each step
- Questions at the end of every chapter to reinforce learning and pinpoint weaknesses
- “Still Struggling?” icon providing specific recommendations for those having difficulty with certain subtopics
- A final exam for overall self-assessment
- “Curriculum Tree” that shows how the topic covered in the book fits into a larger curriculum
Hard stuff made easy!
Philosophy and Correct Reasoning; Branches of Philosophy; Philosophy/Other Disciplines; The Beginnings of Philosophy; Philosophical Eras; Value of Philosophy; Correct Reasoning; Logic, Science of Sound Reasoning; Beliefs & Claims; Argument & Its Goal; Evidence & Justification; Deductive/ Inductive Arguments; Good/Bad Arguments; Fallacies; Metaphysics; Existence and Existing Things; What Exists; Material Monism; Immaterial Monism; Dualism; The Search for Unifying Principles; Plato's Dualism; Aristotle's Four Causes; Medieval Metaphysics; The Rise of Modern Science; Scientific Principles; Macro-level and Micro-level Entities; Living vs. Non-living Entities; Contemporary Metaphysics; Philosophy of Religion; What do People Mean by God; The Theism/Atheism Spectrum; Proofs for God's Existence; The Design Argument; The First Cause Argument; The Ontological Argument; The Moral Argument; The Argument from Religious Experience; The Argument from Miracles; Qualities of God; Pascal's Wager; Philosophy of Mind; Philosophy and Psychology; Qualities of Mind; Perception & Awareness; Consciousness; Arguments for the Distinctiveness of Consciousness; Mind-Body Dualism; Eliminative Materialism; Behaviorism; Identity Theory; Functionalism; Artificial Intelligence; Personhood and Personal Identity over Time; Philosophy of Freedom; Epistemology; Perception and Reality; Knowledge; Truth; Ethics; Descriptive and Prescriptive Ethics; Applied Ethics; Bioethics; Business Ethics; Environmental Ethics; Political Philosophy; Justice and Rights; Law; Governing