Physical Examination & Health Assessment / Edition 5by Carolyn Jarvis
Pub. Date: 11/14/2007
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
With a clear, student-friendly approach, this text provides a solid understanding of how to perform a health assessment. Head-to-toe presentations show the steps of a physical examination in a logical sequence. Detailed illustrations, summary checklists, and new learning resources ensure that you learn all the skills you need to know. It's easy to see why this text… See more details below
With a clear, student-friendly approach, this text provides a solid understanding of how to perform a health assessment. Head-to-toe presentations show the steps of a physical examination in a logical sequence. Detailed illustrations, summary checklists, and new learning resources ensure that you learn all the skills you need to know. It's easy to see why this text is, far and away, #1 in this market!
• Clear, approachable style of writing.
• Over 1,000 full-color illustrations present anatomy and physiology plus examination techniques.
• A two-column format distinguishes normal findings from abnormal findings, using color, step-by-step photos.
• Summary checklists in each body system chapter provide a quick review of exam steps.
• Documentation examples show the charting of normal findings.
• Extensive coverage of culture reflects the importance of diversity and cultural awareness.
• Nursing Diagnoses reflecting the most recent NANDA Taxonomy II terminology.
• Lifespan content is integrated throughout the text to show common variations for all age groups.
• Developmental Care sections cover age-specific content for pediatric, pregnant, and older adult patients.
• Clinical case studies cover focused assessment techniques for patients of different ages in different clinical situations.
• Spanish language translation chart includes key phrases for better communication during a physical examination.
• More than 100 color photographs and drawings are added.
• Abnormal Findings section, in full-color, large-photo atlas format, now differentiates abnormal findings for the student from those for advanced practice.
• Promoting a Healthy Lifestyle boxes highlight essential health promotion material, based on Healthy People 2010 guidelines.
• Unique Reassessment of the Hospitalized Patient chapter provides a focus for hospital-based assessments.
• Functional Assessment of the Older Adult chapter covers the special assessment techniques and findings for geriatric clients.
• A companion CD-ROM helps you apply your skills to realistic patient scenarios, with additional in-depth case studies, a complete head-to-toe examination video, printable health promotion handouts, heart and lung sounds, new bedside reassessment, and the 20 Most Common Conditions.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Jarvis, Physical Examination and Health Assessment Series
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 10.84(w) x 8.70(h) x 1.27(d)
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Assessment of the Whole Person
1. Critical Thinking in Health Assessment
2. Developmental Tasks and Health Promotion Across the Life Cycle
3. Cultural Competence: Cultural Care
4. The Interview
5. The Complete Health History
6. Mental Status Assessment
7. Domestic Violence
Unit 2: Approach to the Clinical Setting
8. Assessment Techniques and the Clinical Setting
9. General Survey, Measurement, Vital Signs
10. Pain Assessment: the Fifth Vital Sign
11. Nutritional Assessment
Unit 3: Physical Examination
12. Skin, Hair, and Nails
13. Head and Neck, Including Regional Lymphatics
16. Nose, Mouth, and Throat
17. Breasts and Regional Lymphatics
18. Thorax and Lungs
19. Heart and Neck Vessels
20. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
22. Musculoskeletal System
23. Neurologic System
24. Male Genitourinary System
25. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
26. Female Genitalia
Unit 4: Integration of the Health Assessment
27. The Complete Health Assessment: Putting It All Together
28. Reassessment of the Hospitalized Patient NEW!
29. The Pregnant Female
30. Functional Assessment of the Older Adult NEW!
Contents may vary upon publication.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
This book comes with a CD. Are you including the CD in the price? Please specify that. It is very important!!!!
Excellent organization and easy to follow details. I would recommend this publication for anyone who needs to brush up on their assessment skills or who is attending a class that involves physical assessment
This book is VERY expensive at college bookstores and B&N has the best price! There are a lot of pictures which help with understanding assessment skills and the interactive CD is a huge bonus!
well organized containing lots of information and resources.
Format is logical and clear. Text is appropriate for use in both BSN and MSN programs. Great reference for practicing nurses and NPs.