Physical Therapy for Children / Edition 4by Suzann K. Campbell, Margo Orlin
Used as both a core textbook in PT programs and as a clinical reference, Physical Therapy for Children, 4th Edition, provides the essential information needed by PTs, both student and professional, when working with children. Like the previous bestselling editions, the 4th edition follows the practice pattern categories of the Guide to Physical/b>/sup>… See more details below
Used as both a core textbook in PT programs and as a clinical reference, Physical Therapy for Children, 4th Edition, provides the essential information needed by PTs, both student and professional, when working with children. Like the previous bestselling editions, the 4th edition follows the practice pattern categories of the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice and uses the IFC model of the disabling process as it presents up-to-date evidence-based coverage of treatment. In this latest edition, Suzann Campbell DeLapp, Robert J. Palisano, and Margo N. Orlin have added more case studies and video clips, additional chapters and Medline-linked references online, and Evidence to Practice boxes to make it easy to find and remember important information.
- Provides comprehensive foundational knowledge in decision making, screening, development, motor control, and motor learning, the impairments of body function and structure, and the PT management of pediatric disorders.
- Reflects a family-centered care model throughout to help you understand how to involve children and their caregivers in developing and implementing intervention plans.
- Emphasizes an evidence-based approach that incorporates the latest research for the best outcomes.
- Follows the practice pattern guidelines of the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, 2nd Edition which sets the standard for physical therapy practice.
- Features the International Classification of Function, Disability, and Health (ICF) of the World Health Organization (WHO) as the model for the disabling process, emphasizing activity rather than functional limitations and participation rather than disability in keeping with the book’s focus on prevention of disability.
- Provides extensive case studies that show the practical application of material covered in the text and are often accompanied by online video clips illustrating the condition and its management.
- Makes it easy to access key information with plenty of tables and boxes that organize and summarize important points.
- Clearly demonstrates important concepts and clinical conditions you’ll encounter in practice with over 800 illustrations.
- Takes learning to a deeper level with additional resources on the Evolve website featuring:
- Over 40 video clips that correspond to case studies and demonstrate conditions found in each chapter
- Helpful resources, including web links
- Questions and exercises you’ll find helpful when preparing for the pediatric specialist certification exam
- 10 additional video clips help you deepen your understanding of more disorders and their management.
- UNIQUE! The latest research is incorporated throughout the text with evidence-based boxes that make it easy to find evidence supporting case management.
- UNIQUE! The Evolve website now includes references linked to Medline abstracts for easy access to research cited in the text.
- Patient and client cases are accompanied by an Evidence to Practice box in the text that clarifies the evidence and provides related references to help you better understand many of the decisions made in each case.
- UNIQUE! Special topics such as gait, genomics, and assistive technology are covered in chapters on the Evolve website, making it easy to search related links and additional information.
- Summary boxes at the end of each chapter help you focus your review of key points.
- More case studies expand the number of clinical scenarios to help you understand how concepts apply to practice.
- More cardiopulmonary coverage helps you consider important factors, including evaluation information and typical values across the lifespan for blood pressure, heart rate, and respiratory rate.
- More coverage of fetal development explains how and why various disorders occur.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.80(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.80(d)
Meet the Author
More from this Author
Table of Contents
Understanding Motor Performance in Children
1 Evidence-Based Decision-Making in Pediatric Physical Therapy
2 The Child's Development of Functional Movement
3 Motor Control: Developmental Aspects of Motor Control in Skill Acquisition
4 Motor Learning: Theories and Strategies for the Practitioner
5 Musculoskeletal Development and Adaptation
6 Physical Fitness during Childhood and Adolescence
Management of Musculoskeletal Impairment
7 Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
8 Spinal Conditions
9 Congenital Muscular Torticollis
10 Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita
11 Osteogenesis Imperfecta
12 Muscular Dystrophy and Spinal Muscle Atrophy
13 Limb Deficiencies
14 Orthopedic Conditions
15 Sports Injuries in Children
Management of Neurologic Impairment
16 Developmental Coordination Disorder
17 Children with Motor and Cognitive Impairments
18 Cerebral Palsy
19 Brachial Plexus Injury
20 Spinal Cord Injury
21 Brain Injuries: Traumatic Brain Injuries, Near Drowning, and Brain Tumors
Management of Cardiopulmonary Conditions
23 Children Requiring Long TermVentilator Assistance
24 Cystic Fibrosis
25 Asthma: Multi-System Implications
26 Thoracic Surgery
Special Settings and Special Considerations
27 The Environment of Intervention
28 The Special Care Nursery
29 Community-based Services for Birth to Three Years
30 The Educational Environment
31 The Burn Unit
32 Transition to Adulthood for Children with Disabilities
Special Topics (Available on the companion Evolve website)
E1 Gait: Development and Analysis
E2 Genomics and Genetic Syndromes Affecting Movement
E4 Assistive Technology
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >