- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
From amusement park rides to critical environmental issues such as energy generation-physics affects almost every aspect of our world. In PHYSICS MATTERS, James Trefil and Robert Hazen examine the fundamental physics principles at work behind the many practical applications that fuel our society and individual lives. Their goal is to promote a deeper understanding of how the great ideas of physics connect to form a much larger understanding of the universe in which we live.
1. Science: A Way of Knowing.
2. The Language of Science.
PART II. MECHANICS AND ENERGY.
3. Motions in the Universe.
4. Isaac Newton and the Laws of Motion.
5. The Law of Universal Gravitation.
6. Conservation of Linear Momentum.
7. Rotational Motion of an Object.
8. Kinetic and Potential Energy.
PART III. MATTER, ENERGY, AND THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS.
9. Atomic Structure and Phases of Matter.
10. Properties of Matter.
11. Heat and Temperature.
12. The First Law of Thermodynamics.
13. Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
PART IV. WAVES.
14. Vibrations and Waves.
PART V. ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM.
16. Electric and Magnetic Forces.
17. Electromagnetic Interactions.
18. Electric Circuits.
19. The Electromagnet ic Spectrum.
20. Classical and Modern Optics.
PART VI. THE ATOM.
21. Atomic Structure and Interactions.
22. Quantum Mechanics.
23. Chemical Bonds and Physical Properties.
24. Electrical and Magnetic Properties of Materials.
25. Semiconductor Devices and Information Technology.
PART VII. THE NUCLEUS AND ELEMENTARY PARTICLES.
26. The Nucleus of The Atom.
27. The Ultimate Structure of Matter.
PART VIII. RELATIVITY AND COSMOLOGY.
28. Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity.
Appendix A: Units and Numbers.
Appendix B: Selected Physical Constants.
Appendix C: Periodic Table and Atomic Weights.