Physics Matters: An Introduction to Conceptual Physics / Edition 1by James Trefil, Robert M. Hazen
Pub. Date: 01/28/2004
From amusement park rides to critical environmental issues such as energy generation-physics affects almost every aspect of our world. In PHYSICS MATTERS, James Trefil and Robert Hazen examine the fundamental physics principles at work behind the many practical applications that fuel our society and individual lives. Their goal is to promote a deeper understanding… See more details below
From amusement park rides to critical environmental issues such as energy generation-physics affects almost every aspect of our world. In PHYSICS MATTERS, James Trefil and Robert Hazen examine the fundamental physics principles at work behind the many practical applications that fuel our society and individual lives. Their goal is to promote a deeper understanding of how the great ideas of physics connect to form a much larger understanding of the universe in which we live.
- Helps readers build a general knowledge of key ideas in physics and their connection to technology and other areas of science.
- Promotes an appreciation of what science is, how scientific knowledge is developed, and how it differs from other intellectual activities.
- Examines modern technologies, including GPS, the Internet, and information technologies, as well as medical technologies, such as MRI, PET scans, CAT scans, and radioisotope tracers.
- Explores key issues facing the world today, such as global warning, nuclear waste, and government funding for research.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.18(w) x 10.28(h) x 1.19(d)
Table of Contents
PART I. INTRODUCTION.
1. Science: A Way of Knowing.
2. The Language of Science.
PART II. MECHANICS AND ENERGY.
3. Motions in the Universe.
4. Isaac Newton and the Laws of Motion.
5. The Law of Universal Gravitation.
6. Conservation of Linear Momentum.
7. Rotational Motion of an Object.
8. Kinetic and Potential Energy.
PART III. MATTER, ENERGY, AND THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS.
9. Atomic Structure and Phases of Matter.
10. Properties of Matter.
11. Heat and Temperature.
12. The First Law of Thermodynamics.
13. Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
PART IV. WAVES.
14. Vibrations and Waves.
PART V. ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM.
16. Electric and Magnetic Forces.
17. Electromagnetic Interactions.
18. Electric Circuits.
19. The Electromagnet ic Spectrum.
20. Classical and Modern Optics.
PART VI. THE ATOM.
21. Atomic Structure and Interactions.
22. Quantum Mechanics.
23. Chemical Bonds and Physical Properties.
24. Electrical and Magnetic Properties of Materials.
25. Semiconductor Devices and Information Technology.
PART VII. THE NUCLEUS AND ELEMENTARY PARTICLES.
26. The Nucleus of The Atom.
27. The Ultimate Structure of Matter.
PART VIII. RELATIVITY AND COSMOLOGY.
28. Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity.
Appendix A: Units and Numbers.
Appendix B: Selected Physical Constants.
Appendix C: Periodic Table and Atomic Weights.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >