Planners on Planning: Leading Planners Offer Real-Life Lessons on What Works, What Doesn't, and Why / Edition 1by Bruce W. McClendon, Anthony James Catanese, Anthony James Catanese
Perhaps at no time in history have we experienced social, political, and economic changes occurring as rapidly as today. As a result, planners and other public officials are being asked to address critical community needs better, faster, and with fewer resources than ever before. Planners on Planning offers pragmatic information on the realities of day-to-day… See more details below
Perhaps at no time in history have we experienced social, political, and economic changes occurring as rapidly as today. As a result, planners and other public officials are being asked to address critical community needs better, faster, and with fewer resources than ever before. Planners on Planning offers pragmatic information on the realities of day-to-day practice from some of the most innovative, respected, and visionary leaders in the planning profession today. Bridging the gap between theory and practice, the book provides straightforward lessons from today's most effective planners on the core values, skills, and techniques needed for success. Through personal, real-life examples from the trenches, these experts explain in their own words what works, what doesn't, and why. Their invaluable first-hand advice includes:
- Ten habits of highly effective planners
- Commitments that enable planners to increase effectiveness and productivity
- Guidelines for survival and success when dealing with the politics of planning
- Principles and practices for effective visioning and goals-setting
- Tips for gaining credibility and trust
- Operating principles for top-quality customer service
- Advice on becoming an effective planning director with job longevity
- Why and how to become more entrepreneurial
Table of Contents
LESSONS ON PERSONAL SUCCESS.
1. Pursuing Effectiveness and Personal Success in the Next Era(Norman Whitaker).
2. How to Become a Successful Planner (Sergio Rodriguez).
3. The Ten Habits of Highly Effective Planners (Richard C.Bernhardt).
4. Five Commitments That Can Make a Difference (Paul A.Bergman).
5. What They Don't Teach You in School (Jim Reid).
6. Thirty How-To's for Success (Paul C. Zucker).
7. Organizing and Managing for Success (Keith L. Cubic).
LESSONS ON POLITICS.
8. Guidelines for Survival and Success (Linda L. Davis).
9. The Principles of Community Alignment and Empowerment (GeneBoles).
10. Making a Difference with Equity Planning (NormanKrumholz).
11. A New Vision on Collaborative Public Service (Elizabeth L.Hollander).
LESSONS ON EFFECTIVENESS.
12. Core Values and Principles for Effective Planning (Robert W.Becker).
13. Visioning for Tangible Results (John A. Lewis).
14. The Five Principles of Effective Practice in a ParticipatoryDemocracy (V. Gail Easely).
15. Tooling Up for Effective Planning (Angela N. Harper).
16. It Seemed Lie a Good Idea at the Time (Marjorie W.Macris).
LESSONS ON CUSTOMERS.
17. Gaining Credibility and Trust Through Teaching, Patience, andTiming (Robert W. Marriott Jr.).
18. The Six Operating Principles of Effective Customer Service(Bruce W. McClendon).
19. Helping Customers Solve Their Problems (Ray Quay).
20. The Planner as Entrepreneur (Floyd Lapp).
21. Attitude, Professionalism, and Opportunity (William W.Bowdy).
22. Understanding and Improving the Management of Planning Agencies(Stuart Meck).
Conclusion: Lessons Learned.
Afterword (Ted Gaebler).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >