Pleural Diseasesby Richard W. Light
Now in a fully revised and updated Sixth Edition, Dr. Light's classic text, Pleural Diseases, delivers even more focused content on the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management of pleural diseases. The text’s straightforward, single-author perspective combines procedural expertise, insights on recent technical advances, and/i>
Now in a fully revised and updated Sixth Edition, Dr. Light's classic text, Pleural Diseases, delivers even more focused content on the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management of pleural diseases. The text’s straightforward, single-author perspective combines procedural expertise, insights on recent technical advances, and clear recommendations for both diagnosis and treatment.
This edition includes current and timely information on management of both paraneoplastic and malignant pleural effusions, new cautions regarding the need for training in thoracentesis, diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusions, and newer agents for producing effusions.
Inside this powerful, fact-packed resource…
• Three algorithms for diagnosis of pleural effusions help identify causes of pathologic findings.
• Chapters on thoracentesis, pleural biopsy, chest tube insertion, and thoracoscopy provide indications and contraindications along with step-by-step procedural guidance.
• Detailed coverage of parapneumonic and malignant pleural effusions addresses the most recent advances in treatment.
NEW to the Sixth Edition…
• Updated treatment regimens for paraneoplastic lesions broaden therapeutic options.
• Consensus-building content presents a unified approach to the use of indwelling catheters in the management of malignant pleural effusions.
• New emphasis on training for thoracentesis helps minimize procedure-related morbidity and mortality.
• New recommendations regarding chest tubes help ensure the proper tube is used for each procedure.
• New tests refine the diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusions.
PLUS… a FREE companion website provides on-demand access to the fully searchable text and images.
Description: This is both an overview of the diagnosis and management of pleural diseases and a comprehensive reference on specific pleural diseases. It is concise, logical, and well written with good use of figures to illustrate key points. There is excellent discussion of the medical literature supporting the author's approach to pleural disease with comprehensive references.
Purpose: The purpose is to educate trainees and physicians in the evaluation of patients with pleural diseases. The book also serves as a comprehensive reference on pleural diseases.
Audience: Richard W. Light is a recognized international expert in pleural diseases and his textbook is considered the definitive source on the topic by most in the field of pulmonary medicine. The information he provides is useful and relevant for a wide audience including medical students, residents, pulmonary fellows, general practitioners, and pulmonary specialists.
Features: The book begins by discussing the anatomy and pathophysiology of the pleural space and pleural diseases. The next three chapters discuss the approach to the diagnosis of pleural diseases including radiographic findings and pleural fluid analysis. The remaining 15 chapters cover specific types of pleural disease in detail. The book uses numerous figures to organize information and provide examples of key findings associated with each disease entity. Three new chapters as well as numerous updates and references have been added since the 2001 edition.
Assessment: This is the definitive reference on the topic of pleural diseases and it has been and will continue be a cornerstone in the practice of pulmonary medicine.
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.20(w) x 10.50(h) x 1.00(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews