Pocket Companion for Physical Examination and Health Assessment / Edition 4by Carolyn Jarvis, Pat Thomas
Pocket Companion for Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 4th edition, is a convenient and portable clinical tool for carrying out a holistic, head-to-toe assessment. This handbook is useful either as an adjunct to the Jarvis text, or as an independent primer of basic assessment skills. The Pocket Companion features all the essentials: health history points… See more details below
Pocket Companion for Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 4th edition, is a convenient and portable clinical tool for carrying out a holistic, head-to-toe assessment. This handbook is useful either as an adjunct to the Jarvis text, or as an independent primer of basic assessment skills. The Pocket Companion features all the essentials: health history points, exam steps for each body system, normal versus abnormal findings; integrated life span and transcultural considerations; and over 100 meticulously prepared color illustrations. All of this is presented in an attractive and user-friendly format that mirrors the core text. Revised and updated to match the text, the Pocket Companion is cross-referenced to the text by page number for those times when the reader needs more detailed information.
- Consistent, student-friendly format matches the core text, with each body system chapter divided into the following major sections: Anatomy (corresponds with Structure and Function section in the text); Subjective Data; Objective Data; Nursing Diagnoses; and Abnormal Findings.
- Attractive full-color design highlights key information for quick, easy reference.
- Objective Data (method of examination) is presented in a clear, two-column layout that is easy to follow. Normal Range of Findings content is listed in the left column, and the corresponding Abnormal Findings are described in the right column.
- Relevant Developmental Considerations are highlighted with a special icon, and cover age-specific life span content for pediatric, pregnant, and aging adult patients.
- New pain and domestic violence content has been added to bring the book up-to-date with these pertinent assessment topics.
- Over 100 full-color illustrations enhance learning by presenting anatomy and physiology and examination techniques more clearly.
- Selected Transcultural Considerations are highlighted with a special icon to provide a context for care of a multicultural patient group.
- Summary Checklists at the end of each body system chapter provide a cue-card review of exam steps.
- Nursing Diagnoses are listed for each region of body system being assessed (contains the most recent NANDA Taxonomy II terminology).
- Numerous helpful summary tables at the end of each chapter enhance clinical functionality.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Fourth Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 5.00(w) x 8.25(h) x 0.50(d)
Table of Contents1. The Interview and the Health History
2. Mental Status
3. Assessment Techniques and Approach to the Clinical Setting
4. General Survey, Measurement, and Vital Signs
5. Skin, Hair, and Nails
6. Head and Neck, Including Regional Lymphatics
9. Nose, Mouth, and Throat
10. Breasts and Axillae, Including Regional Lymphatics
11. Thorax and Lungs
12. Heart and Neck Vessels
13. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatics
15. Musculoskeletal System
16. Neurologic System
17. Male Genitalia
18. Female Genitalia
19. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
20. Integration of the Complete Physical Examination
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >