Introduction to Policy & Politics in Nursing & Health Care
1. A Framework for Action in Policy and Politics
2. A Historical Perspective on Policy, Politics and Nursing
3. Learning the Ropes of Policy, Politics, and Advocacy
4. How I Learned the Ropes of Policy and Politics
5. Taking Action: Advocacy in Nursing and Health Care NEW!
6. A Primer on Political Philosophy
7. The Policy Process
8. Political Analysis And Strategies
9. Health Policy, Politics, and Professional Ethics
10. Using the Power of Media to Influence Health Policy and Politics
11. Communications Skills for Political Success
12. Conflict Management in Health Care: The Tipping Point Arrives
Health Care Delivery and Financing
13. The U.S. Health Care System
14. Financing Health Care in the U.S.
15. Could a National Health System Work in the United States?
16. A Primer on Health Economics
17. Reforming Medicare
18. Children's Health Insurance Coverage: Medicaid and State Children's Health Insurance Program
19. The U.S. Military Health System: Policy Challenges in Wartime and Peacetime
20. The Veteran's Administration Health System: An Overview of Major Policy Issues
21. The United States' Health Insurance Crisis NEW!
22. Policy Approaches to Address Health Disparities NEW!
23. The Rural Health Care Tundra NEW!
24. Long Term Care Policy Issues
25. Home Health Care: Evolving Policy NEW!
26. Achieving Mental Health Parity
27. Integrative Health: Pathway to Health Reform and a Healthier Nation
28. Nursing's Influence on Drug Development and Safety
29. Chronic Care Policy: Medical Homes and Primary Care NEW!
30. Family Care-giving and Social Policy
31. Retail Health Care Clinics: Filling a Gap in the Health Care System NEW!
32. Nurse-Managed Health Centers
33. Community Health Centers: Successful Advocacy for Expanding Health Care Access
34. Taking Action: Setting Health Care in its Social Context, an Interview with Ruth Watson Lubic, EdD, CNM, FAAN
35. Taking Action: Reimbursement Issues for Nurse Anesthetists: A Continuing Challenge
36. The Role of Foundations in Improving Health Care
37. Social Security: Key to Economic Security
38. The United Kingdom's Health System: Myths and Realities
Policy and Politics in Research and Nursing Science
39. Science, Policy, and Politics NEW!
40. Research as a Political and Policy Tool
41. Health Services Research: Translating Research to Policy
42. Policy and Evidence-Based Practice and Policy in Nursing NEW!
43. The Society for Women's Health Research: Using Evidence-Based Policy to Improve Health
44. Using Research to Advance Healthy Social Policies for Children
45. Taking Action: Reefer Madness: The Clash of Science, Politics, and Medical Marijuana
46. Taking Action: The Journey Into The Hallowed Halls Of Politics: How Nurse Practitioners Changed Pennsylvania Policy
Policy and Politics in the Workplace and Workforce
47. Policy and Politics in the Contemporary Work Environment
48. Quality and Safety in Healthcare: Policy Issues NEW!
49. The Nursing Workforce
50. Nursing Education Policy: The Unending Debate Over Entry into Practice and the New Debate over Doctoral Degrees NEW!
51. The Politics of Advanced Practice Nursing
52. Global Nurse Migration NEW!
53. Nurse Staffing Ratios: Policy Options NEW!
54. Taking Action: Aligning Care at the Bedside with the C-Suite NEW!
55. Taking Action: When a Hurricane Strikes: The Challenge of Crafting Workplace Disaster Policy
56. Workplace Abuse in Nursing: Policy Strategies NEW!
57. Taking Action: Advocating for Nurses Injured in the Workplace NEW!
58. Taking Action: Influencing the Workplace by Serving on a Hospital's Board of Directors
59. The Intersection of Technology and Care: Policy Issues
60. Influence of Magnet Recognition on Organization and Workplace Policy
61. Collective Bargaining in Nursing
62. Workplace Advocacy
Policy and Politics in the Government
63. Current Issues in the U.S. Government
64. How Government Works: What You Need to Know to Influence the Process
65. An Overview of Legislation and Regulation
66. Nursing Licensure and Regulation
67. Regulating Industrial Chemicals to Protect the Environment and Human Health
68. Lobbying Policymakers: Individual and Collective Strategies
69. Taking Action: An Insider's View of Lobbying
70. Political Appointments
71. Taking Action: Influencing Policy as a Member of the San Francisco Health Commission NEW!
72. Nursing and the Courts
73. The American Voter and the Electoral Process
74. Taking Action: Anatomy of a Political Campaign
75. Taking Action: Nurses for Obama: My Advocacy and Experience on the Campaign Trail NEW!
76. Is There a Nurse in the House? The Nurses in the U.S. Congress
77. Taking Action: Nurse, Educator, and Legislator: My Journey to the Delaware General Assembly
78. Taking Action: Into the Rabbit Hole: My Journey to Service on a City CouncilNEW!
79. Taking Action: Truth or Dare: One Nurse's Political Campaign
80. Political Activity: Different Rules for Government-Employed Nurses
Policy and Politics in Associations and Interest Groups
81. Interest Groups in Health Care Policy and Politics
82. Current Issues in Nursing Associations
83. Professional Nursing Associations: Meeting Needs of Nurses and the Profession
84. Taking Action: The Center to Champion Nursing in America: Mobilizing Consumers and Other Stakeholders NEW!
85. Taking Action: The Raise the Voice Campaign: Nurse-Led Innovations Changing Public Policy NEW!
86. Coalitions: A Powerful Political Strategy
87. Taking Action: A Rough Road in Texas: Advanced Practice Nurses Build a Strong Coalition NEW!
88. Taking Action: The National Coalition for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Health NEW!
89. Taking Action: The Nursing Kitchen Cabinet: The Virginia Nursing Coalition NEW!
90. The Politics of the Pharmaceutical Industry
Policy and Politics in the Community
91. Where Policy Hits the Pavement: Contemporary Issues In Communities
92. An Introduction to Community Activism
93. Taking Action: From Sewage Problems to the State House: My Life as an Elected Official
94. Taking Action: Community Advocacy in Pennsylvania: How I Worked to Make My Community Healthier NEW!
95. Taking Action: A Nurse Practitioner's Advocacy Efforts in Nevada NEW!
96. Taking Action: One Nurse's Fight Against Gang Violence in California NEW!
97. Taking Action: The Canary Coalition for Clean Air in NC's Smoky Mountains NEW!
98. Taking Action: The Nightingales Take on Big Tobacco
99. Lactivism: Breastfeeding Advocacy in the United States NEW!
100. Taking Action: Postpartum Depression: The Convergence of Media Coverage and Community Activism to Influence Health Policy
101. Nursing in the International Community: A Broader View of Nursing Issues
102. Taking Action: Ugandan Nurses Leading Health Policy Change NEW!
103. Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Disease: A Global Challenge
104. Human Trafficking: The Need for Nursing Advocacy NEW!
Appendix 1: Health Policy Internships and Education