Policy and Politics in Nursing and Health Care / Edition 4by Diana J. Mason, Mary W. Chaffee, Judith K. Leavitt, Judith K. Leavitt
Pub. Date: 01/28/2002
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Enables readers to analyze policy issues, enhance their political knowledge and skills, and prepare for leadership roles in policy-making and public health. This resource cultivates the development of valuable skills
The complete resource for the nursing and health care perspective on politics and policy with detailed information from leading experts in the field.
Enables readers to analyze policy issues, enhance their political knowledge and skills, and prepare for leadership roles in policy-making and public health. This resource cultivates the development of valuable skills including conflict management, lobbying, the use of media, and working with communities for change -- essential abilities for any nurse assuming a leadership role in today’s changing health care environment.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
* Updated Policy Spotlights focus on policy issues such as Stem Cell Research, Medical Marijuana, Genetics, and Intimate Partner Violence.
* Updated Vignettes detail personal experiences, opportunities, and challenges facing a nurse in this career path.
* New Taking Action sections highlight a policy issue or political strategy and provide nurses with examples of how they can take action.
* Evidence-Based Practice (research) and its impact on health care policy and politics is integrated where appropriate.
* New Web Resource boxes include recommended website addresses for students to obtain additional information.
* Solid breadth and depth of content covers both policy and politics.
* Contributors include many leading nurse experts in policy and politics.
* A diverse mix of styles, perspectives, and levels of content to appeal to many nursing audiences.
* Policy Spotlights provide key information on specific policy issues such as complementary therapies, reimbursement, social security, childcare and Medicare issues and options.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.62(w) x 9.20(h) x 1.08(d)
Table of Contents
|Unit I||Introduction to Policy and Politics in Nursing and Health Care|
|1||Policy and Politics: A Framework for Action||1|
|2||Pride in Our Past: Nursing's Political Roots||19|
|3||Learning the Ropes of Policy and Politics||31|
|4||Policy Development and Analysis||55|
|5||Political Analysis and Strategies||71|
|6||Communication Skills for Political Success||93|
|8||Coalitions: A Powerful Political Strategy||121|
|9||Research as a Political and Policy Tool||141|
|10||Role of Media in Influencing Policy: Getting the Message Across||157|
|11||Ethical Issues in Health Care, Public Policy, and Politics||177|
|Unit II||Health Care Delivery and Financing|
|12||Organization and Delivery of Health Care in the United States: A Patchwork System||201|
|14||Health Care Financing||241|
|Unit III||Policy and Politics in the Workplace|
|15||Contemporary Issues in the Health Care Workplace||311|
|16||Creating Change in the Workplace||333|
|17||Politics of the Nursing Workforce||363|
|18||Future of Advanced Practice Nursing||371|
|19||Collective Action in Health Care||387|
|20||Politics of Nursing Research||399|
|Unit IV||Policy and Politics in Government|
|21||Contemporary Issues in Government|
|22||Legislative and Regulatory Processes||451|
|23||Nursing and the Courts||471|
|25||State Government: 50 Paths to Policy||491|
|26||The Federal Government||515|
|28||Lobbying Policymakers: Individual and Collective Strategies||551|
|29||The American Voter and Nursing's Leadership in Political Campaigns||565|
|Unit V||Policy and Politics in Professional Organizations|
|30||Contemporary Issues in Professional Organizations||601|
|31||You and Your Professional Organization||609|
|32||The Power and Influence of Special Interest Groups in Health Care||627|
|Unit VI||Policy and Politics in the Community|
|33||Where Policy Hits the Pavement: Contemporary Issues in Communities||659|
|34||Working with the Community for Change||687|
|35||Nursing in the International Community||711|
|A||Glossary of Health, Policy, and Political Terms and Acronyms||745|
|B||Internships and Fellowships||755|
|C||Health Care, Health Policy, Political, Government, and Media Resources||765|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >