Politics and Policy in American States and Communities / Edition 3by Dennis Dresang, James J. Gosling
Pub. Date: 06/28/2001
Publisher: Pearson Education
Dresang, Dennis and Gosling, James J., Politics and Policy in American States and Communities, 3rd Edition*\ With a unique organizing theme, a face-to-face approach, the book shows how individuals are affected by decisions of governmental officials and how individuals can influence public policy. This approach personalizes the study of state and local government, making it more meaningful to the reader. Three areas of extensive updating include: the changing nature of intergovernmental relations; the policy chapters (welfare reform, crime, juvenile crime); and the changing nature of partisan politics within states. For those interested in the U.S. state and local government.
- Pearson Education
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.22(w) x 11.26(h) x 0.91(d)
Table of ContentsI. INTRODUCTION.
1. Face-to-Face Governance
II. LAYING THE FOUNDATION.
2. State Diversity, Growth and Decline, and the Contemporary Urban Dilemma.
3. Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations.
4. Constitutions and Charters.
5. Policy-Making Processes: The Framework for Participation.
III. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION.
6. Grassroots Participation.
7. Interest Groups.
8. Political Parties and Elections.
IV. THE INSTITUTIONS OF STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS.
10. State Legislatures.
11. Local Government Executives and Legislatures.
V. PUBLIC POLICIES.
14. Crime and Corrections.
15. Educational Policy.
16. Social Welfare and Health Policy.
17. Environmental Policy and Economic Development.
18. Fiscal Policy and Financial Management.
19. Responding to Pressing Public Problems.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >