Politics in America, Texas Edition / Edition 7
Pub. Date: 12/29/2006
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Politics in America uses Harold Laswell's classic definition of politics"Who gets what, when, and how"as a framework for presenting a clear, concise, and stimulating introduction to the American political system. Focusing on the millennial election year, Dye's lively and absorbing narrative examines the struggle for powerthe participants, the stakes, the processes, and the institutional arenaand an abundance of feature boxes explore timely issues and opinions, draw cross-cultural comparisons, and introduce important people. One of the most well known political scientists, Tom Dye has written a balanced, and exceedingly readable book. The National Version provides complete coverage of all aspects of politics and political culture, the constitution, political participants and institutions and political outcomes with regard to personal liberty, civil rights, the economy and national security. For individuals interested in American politics.
Table of Contents
2. Political Culture: Ideas in Conflict.
4. Federalism: Dividing Governmental Power.
6. Mass Media: Setting the Political Agenda.
7. Political Parties: Organizing Politics.
8. Campaigns and Elections: Deciding Who Governs.
9. Interest Groups: Getting Their Share and More.
11. The President: White House Politics.
12. The Bureaucracy: Bureaucratic Politics.
13. Courts: Judicial Politics.
15. Politics and Civil Rights.
16. Politics and the Economy.
17. Politics and Social Welfare.
18. Politics and National Security.
The Federalist, No. 10, James Madison.
The Federalist, No 51, James Madison.
Presidential Voting, 1789-1996.
Party Control of Congress, 1901-2001.
Basic Version: Table of Contents follows above for Chapters 1-15 only. No separate policy chapters in this version.
Texas Edition: Table of contents follows above plus these additional chapters concerning Texas politics:
19. The Social and Economic Milieu of Texas Politics.
20. The Texas Constitution.
21. Interest Groups, Political Parties, and Elections in Texas.
22. The Texas Legislature.
23. The Texas Executive and Bureaucracy.
24. Texas Judiciary.
25. Local Government in Texas.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >