Portable Ethicist / Edition 1by Barton E. Bernstein JD, LMSW, Thomas L. Hartsell Jr., JD
Pub. Date: 09/01/2000
Everything you need to know to protect your practice against ethical violations and complaintsThe Portable Ethicist for Mental Health Professionals is a valuable, easy-to-use resource for all mental health service providers. Written by two attorneys specializing in legal and ethical issues in mental health, this indispensable guide arms you with the expert knowledge… See more details below
Everything you need to know to protect your practice against ethical violations and complaintsThe Portable Ethicist for Mental Health Professionals is a valuable, easy-to-use resource for all mental health service providers. Written by two attorneys specializing in legal and ethical issues in mental health, this indispensable guide arms you with the expert knowledge you need to avoid an ethical violationor to handle the situation if a complaint is filed. Barton Bernstein and Thomas Hartsell Jr. tackle dozens of ethical questions using the codes of several mental health professional associations and provide practical guidelines for avoiding ethically questionable behavior.Organized alphabetically for easy reference, this complete A-to-Z guide:
- Provides clear, concise answers to ethical questionsfrom the simple to the complex
- Covers key categories, including confidentiality, dual relationships, sexual misconduct, false and misleading statements, malpractice, drug and alcohol use, documentation, record keeping, closing a practice (retirement or death), responding to a subpoena, and more
- Features step-by-step guidance, helpful case studies, and "ethical flash points" that alert you to warning signs and help you steer clear of ethically questionable situations
- Covers the role of state licensing boards and national mental health associations in responding to complaints of ethical violations
Even an unintentional ethical violation can lead to personal and professional disaster. The Portable Ethicist for Mental Health Professionals helps you protect yourself, your future, and your practiceand lets you focus on the best interests of your clients.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 9.25(w) x 7.50(h) x 0.65(d)
Table of Contents
Alternative Treatment Methods.
False and Misleading Statements.
Repressed and Recovered Memory.
ETHICS CODES AND LICENSING.
Areas of Ethical Complaints.
Ethics Codes as Evidence.
Licensing Board Procedures.
Closing a Practice.
Kickbacks, Bartering, and Fees.
Record Keeping and Maintenance.
Drug and Alcohol Use.
Duty to Warn.
SPECIAL THERAPY CONSIDERATIONS.
Epilogue: Ethics in the 21st Century.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >