- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Sport has changed. Traditions and territorial distinctions are dissolving as a result of new global, political, economic and cultural conditions. The team of authors examine these changes, investigating the power relations that govern the new global sport and assessing the consequences for the future of sport.
The book is founded on a series of case studies, linked by a common process-sociological approach, and is divided into four sections - each dealing with an important aspect of sport and globalization:
* the local-global nexus - how global sports processes are played out at the level of local communities
* lived experiences - the reality of global sport for players and supporters
* identity politics - the impact of global sport on national consciousness
* sporting futures - the emergent political, economic and cultural forces that are shaping global sport, and their implications for its development.
The text introduces new approaches to the study of sport and globalization, updating and extending Maguire's previous work, and is therefore an essential resource for all those working in this fast-changing area.
1. Local - Global Nexus. 2. Lived Experiences. 3. Identity Politics. 4. Sporting Futures.