Power Aware Computing / Edition 1by Robert Graybill
Pub. Date: 12/06/2010
Publisher: Springer US
With the advent of portable and small-sized computing systems, and with the new trends towards embedded and systems-on-a-chip computing, power management has emerged as a focal point in many research projects and commercial systems. In these systems, better management of power translates into longer battery life or into smaller batteries, which in turns implies
With the advent of portable and small-sized computing systems, and with the new trends towards embedded and systems-on-a-chip computing, power management has emerged as a focal point in many research projects and commercial systems. In these systems, better management of power translates into longer battery life or into smaller batteries, which in turns implies smaller and lighter devices. Power management is also crucial in autonomous systems such as satellites and unmanned vehicles and planes. In such systems, better power management translates to longer missions or to smaller and lighter power generation systems, which makes room for other instrumentations to be added to the system.
This book covers a wide spectrum of power optimization and management techniques that spreads from circuit level optimization to application level power management. The spectrum includes power optimization and management at the microarchitecture level, the compiler level and the operating system level. The book also describes a number of methods for modeling and measuring power consumption in computer systems and for evaluating the effectiveness of power management techniques.
Table of Contents
List of Figures. List of Tables. Preface.
1. Comparative Analysis of Flip-Flops and Application of Data-Gating in Dynamic Flip-Flops for High Speed, Low Active and Low Leakage Power Dissipation; V. Srikantam, M. Martinez. 2. Low Power Sandwich/Spin Tunneling Memory Device; J. Daughton, et al.
3. Power-Efficient Issue Queue Design; A. Buyuktosunoglu, et al. 4. Micro-architecture Design and Control Speculation for Energy Reduction; D. Grunwald. 5. Energy-Exposed Instruction Sets; K. Asanovic, et al.
6. Dynamic Management of Power Consumption; T. Simunic. 7. Power Management Points in Power-Aware Real-Time Systems; R. Melhem, et al. 8. A Power-Aware API for Embedded and Portable Systems; C. Pereira, et al.
9. PACT HDL: A Compiler Targeting ASICs and FPGAs with Power and Performance Optimizations; A. Jones, et al. 10. Compiler Optimizations for Low Power Systems; M. Kandemir, et al. 11. Power-Performance Trade-Offs in Second Level Memory Used by an ARM-like RISC Architecture; K. Puttaswamy, et al.
12. Application-Level Power Awareness; J.A. Barnett. 13. A Power-Aware, Satellite-Based Parallel Signal Processing Scheme; P.M. Shriver, et al. 14. The Case for Power Management in Web Servers; P. Bohrer, et al.
15. Et2: A Metric for Time and Energy Efficiency of Computation; A.J. Martin, et al. 16. Challenges for Architectural Level Power Modeling; Nam Sung Kim, et al. 17. Software Energy Profiling; A. Sinha, A. Chandrakasan.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >