- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Phoenix, MD
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
1. "A Republic, If You Can Keep IT"
2. The Foundational Presidency: George Washington to John Quincy Adams
3. Democratization to Decline/Crisis to Enlargement: Andrw Jackson to Abraham Lincoln
4. Reaction and Shrinking/The World Stage and Enlargement: Andrew Jackson to Woodrow Wilson
5. Republicanizatin and Retreat/Crisis and the Creation of the 'Modern' Presidency: Warren Harding to FDR
6. The Cold War/Heroic Presidency: Harry S. Truman to John F. Kennedy
7. An Imperial to an Imperiled Presidency: LBJ to Ronald Reagan
8. The Post Cold War Paradox: George Bush to Bill Clinton
9. Conclusion: The Presidency in the New Millennium Appendix Selected Bibliography Index
Posted April 23, 2003
I like this book! 'The Power of the American Presidency' is an informative and enjoyable book to read. Genovese gives the reader a broad view of the roots of the American presidency and its powers. Readers will see how some presidents excelled while others lagged behind, how some presidents developed and strengthened presidential powers to lead the country forward while others weakened them and failed to leadc. Genovese describes how a president was accused of breaking the law--or at least--steered around the US Constitution¿Yin order to save a nation, how some loved the position of president while others couldnft wait for their term to end. Genovese shows us the presidents that made the top of the list of great presidents, those who landed on the bottom, and how others took the deep plunge into presidential obscurity. The reader will also discover which president served the longest term, which served the shortest, which president disliked politicsc. But most importantly, Genovese explains the development of the American presidency and the expansion of its power. 'The Power of the American Presidency' entices the readerfs thirst for knowledge and serves as a good jumping point for further study on the American presidency and presidential powers. Genovesefs writing is smart, crisp, and at times witty but always clear. I like that this book can be read from beginning to end, as I did, or it can be used as a reference tool, as I frequently do. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.