Jennifer L. Altieri is a professor of literacy in the Department of Human Services and Counseling at St. John’s University, New York, USA.
Powerful Content Connections: Nurturing Readers, Writers, and Thinkers in Grades K–3by Jennifer L. Altieri
The implementation of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) means we have to rethink what we are teaching and how we teach it. Children are expected to dive deeper into more challenging texts, especially informational texts, right from the start of their school
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
Expect More, Achieve More—Make powerful content connections with your early learners!
The implementation of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) means we have to rethink what we are teaching and how we teach it. Children are expected to dive deeper into more challenging texts, especially informational texts, right from the start of their school years. This book shows you how to create powerful connections that can strengthen primary-grade students’ literacy skills while deepening their content knowledge.
In her down-to-earth style, Jennifer Altieri takes a closer look at what the CCSS for the English Language Arts require of our students, and then provides scores of practical strategies you can use to incorporate the reading, writing, and thinking skills inherent in the CCSS across content areas and throughout the school day.
In these pages you’ll learn:
• How and why powerful content connections are necessary, and how you can start making those powerful connections today
• The crucial role of informational texts, and how to determine which informational texts are best for
• How foundational skills—such as concepts of print, phonological awareness, phonics and word recognition, and fluency—connect to the overarching goal of creating content area connections
• Ways to assess text complexity with the texts you use in your classroom, as well as ideas for addressing the needs of every learner individually
• What it means to really know a term, and how to help students use vocabulary knowledge to increase word knowledge
• Strategies for nurturing students from learning to write to writing to learn
- BN ID:
- International Reading Association
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 5 MB
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews