Practicing Multiculturalism: Affirming Diversity in Counseling and Psychology / Edition 1by Timothy B. Smith
Pub. Date: 05/20/2003
“Practicing Multiculturalism” facilitates effective multicultural practice by helping the reader internalize the principles of multiculturalism. This book represents a wide variety of perspectives, and focuses on the internalization of multicultural principles. “Practicing Multiculturalism” discusses emotional reactions in multicultural… See more details below
“Practicing Multiculturalism” facilitates effective multicultural practice by helping the reader internalize the principles of multiculturalism. This book represents a wide variety of perspectives, and focuses on the internalization of multicultural principles. “Practicing Multiculturalism” discusses emotional reactions in multicultural scenarios, values and assumptions, and power, priviledge, and contextual factors that impact multicultural practice. Unique content includes chapters devoted to spiritual and religious diversity (including Islam), activism and organizational multicultural competence, classism, an overview of the multicultural movement in mental health including past acheivements and current controversies, children's issues in a family context, international students and immigrants, and an ecological/contextual approach to assessment and treatment.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- First Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.90(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
I. OVERVIEW: UNDERSTANDING MULTICULTURAL CONTEXTS.
1. Practicing Multiculturalism: An Introduction, Timothy B. Smith, P. Scott Richards, Mac Granley, & Festus Obiakor.
2. The Multicultural Context of Mental Health, Paul B. Pedersen.
II. MULTICULTURAL SKILL DEVELOPMENT.
3. Awareness and Identity: Foundations of Multicultural Practice, Chalmer E. Thompson.
4. Intercultural Communication Contexts as Mindful Human Achievements, Billy Vaughn.
5. Working from Within: Contextual Mental Health and Organizational Competence, Patricia Arrendondo.
6. A Contextual Approach to Assessment, Timothy B. Smith.
III. CONSIDERATIONS FOR MULTICULTURAL PRACTICE WITH SPECIFIC POPULATIONS.
7. Effective Interventions with Children of Color and Their Families: A Contextual Developmental Approach, Daisuke Akiba & Cynthia Garcia Coll.
8. Counseling and Psychology with African American Clients, Leonie J. Brooks, Deborah G. Haskins, & Judith V. Kehe.
9. Counseling and Psychotherapy with Latino/Latina Clients, Alberta M. Gloria, Ester R. Rodriguez, & Elisa M. Castillo.
10. Counseling and Psychotherapy with Asian American Clients, Nolan Zane, Teru Morton, June Chu, & Nancy Lin.
11. Counseling and Psychotherapy with Native American Clients, Aaron P. Jackson & Sherri Turner.
12. Counseling and Psychotherapy with Arab American Clients, Chris D. Erickson & Nada Al-Timimi.
13. Counseling and Psychotherapy for Acculturation and Ethnic Identity Concerns with Immigrant and International Student Clients, Gargi Roysircar.
14. Religious and Spiritual Diversity in Counseling and Psychotherapy, P. Scott Richards, Roger Keller, & Timothy B. Smith.
15. Understanding Classism to Effect Personal Change, William M. Lui & Donald B. Pope-Davis.
16. Understanding of Individuals in Their Context: A Relational Perspective of Multicultural Counseling and Psychotherapy, Timothy B. Smith & Matthew Draper.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >