Preparing for Crises in the Schools: A Manual for Building School Crisis Response Teams / Edition 2by Stephen E. Brock, Jonathan Sandoval, Sharon Lewis
Pub. Date: 01/16/2001
From Jonesboro, Arkansas, to Littleton, Colorado, the past several years have seen frightening and dramatic examples of violence in our schools. As these and other harrowing incidentsfrom natural disasters to suicideshave become sadly familiar, communities have begun to expect their schools to be prepared to immediately respond to the aftermath of these… See more details below
From Jonesboro, Arkansas, to Littleton, Colorado, the past several years have seen frightening and dramatic examples of violence in our schools. As these and other harrowing incidentsfrom natural disasters to suicideshave become sadly familiar, communities have begun to expect their schools to be prepared to immediately respond to the aftermath of these crises.
Authored by a group of school psychologists who have helped to implement crisis response plans in many school districts and facilitated numerous crisis response workshops, Preparing for Crises in the Schools presents a workable framework for a proactive response to tragedy. This completely revised and updated Second Edition reports the latest findings on initiating and implementing district-wide and building-level school crisis response plans.
This step-by-step guide aids counselors, school psychologists, teachers, and administrators in developing an action plan for responding to the multiple issues generated by school crises. This invaluable planning tool includes:
- A chapter on the early detection of potentially violent studentswith concrete ideas on how to proactively respond to the special needs of these youth
- Anecdotal vignettes illustrating actual school crises and the responses by school personnel
- A blueprint for crisis response training, including a complete in-service workshop designed to facilitate crisis intervention skill development
- Guidelines for responding to the unique opportunities and dangers presented by media attention
- Recommendations for helping to ensure student and staff safety and security before, during, and after crises
- Suggestions for assessing crisis response plan readiness
- Guidelines for debriefing and evaluating a school crisis response
The future of our children necessitates that they enjoy a stable, peaceful learning environment. With Preparing for Crises in the Schools, educators will have a first-rate outline for promoting and maintaining such an atmosphere, even when faced with adversity.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.38(w) x 9.69(h) x 1.37(d)
Table of Contents
Developing and Implementing a Crisis Response Policy.
Components of a Crisis Preparedness Plan.
Components of a Crisis Response.
Psychological Triage and Referral.
Security and Safety Procedures.
Working with Potentially Violent Students.
Emergency Medical and Health Procedures.
Evaluating and Debriefing the Crisis Response.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >