- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
From the Publisher"The most practical, helpful guide for promotion and tenure that I have seen."
—Nora K. Bell, President, Wesleyan College
This guide to helping faculty prepare for professional review, whether an annual event or at a key moment in their career, will help make this often stressful and confusing experience less challenging and provide faculty a sense of mastery over the process. It shows faculty how to plan ahead by learning the rules, getting organized, developing a line of research, collecting baseline data, and fostering interpersonal relationships. It then gives practical advice and examples on documenting one’s work in all areas of teaching and scholarship.
The second edition of this best-selling book features some new materials designed to help faculty prepare for a major professional review, including post-tenure reviews. New areas covered are how to
In addition to updating references and resources, the author has expanded sections on scholarship, teaching and advising, how to best document faculty role and impact as part of a team, and on assessing collegiality.
Appropriate for faculty at large universities and small colleges, public or private institutions, and unionized campuses, this book enumerates important questions to be asked and the issues that should be considered as faculty approach the review process. Concrete resources, examples, references, and a faculty checklist make this a practical tool for any instructor facing a professional evaluation.
About the Author.
Part I: Process.
1. Planning Ahead.
2. Documenting Your Work.
Part II: Resources.
1. Assessing Collegiality: A Faculty Survey.
2. Documenting Effectiveness and Impact as a Member of a Team.
3. Mini-Quest: Questionnaire for Evaluating an Instructional Unit.
4. Documenting an Instructional Innovation or Use of Technology: Guidelines for Faculty.
5. Student Ratings of Faculty: Special Instructions Settings.
6. Evaluating an Advisor: Slelected Items From the ACT Survey of Academic Advising.
7. Documenting and Assessing the Work of Faculty.
8. The Teaching Portfolio: Narrative Guidelines of Faculty.
9. Evaluating Teaching: Selected Additional References.
10. Preparing for Promotion, Tenure, and Annual Review: A Faculty Checklist.