Primary Care Geriatrics: A Case-Based Approach / Edition 4by Richard J. Ham, Gregg Warshaw, Philip D. Sloane, Gregg Warshaw
Geriatrics continues to become a more central and vital component of primary care medicine, making it more important than ever that all providers of geriatric medical care maintain continuous awareness of the principles of geriatrics. PRIMARY CARE GERIATRICS: A CASE-BASED APPROACH provides the principles and key clinical information necessary to ensure the optimal… See more details below
Geriatrics continues to become a more central and vital component of primary care medicine, making it more important than ever that all providers of geriatric medical care maintain continuous awareness of the principles of geriatrics. PRIMARY CARE GERIATRICS: A CASE-BASED APPROACH provides the principles and key clinical information necessary to ensure the optimal management of elderly patients. Case studies are integrated throughout the text to provide illustrative patient scenarios. The book is divided into three parts: the first outlines the principles of geriatric primary care and the characteristics of older persons from which these principles arise; the second provides detailed, case-based approaches to major geriatric syndromes; and the third section is a presentation of common conditions and situations. Long acknowledged as one of the most practical, user-friendly texts available, this new edition features revised content reflecting the latest advances in the field.
- Problem-oriented approach providing case studies, along with case discussions for an increased clinical focus
- Chapter Objectives before each chapter provide an outline of what you can expect to learn
- Useful boxes highlight key guidelines and tips
- Clinical pearls are integrated into the text emphasizing crucial clinical considerations.
- Pre-tests and post-tests included in each chapter enable you to gauge what you've learned
- Brings you the latest developments in assisted living environments and hospice recommendations
- Offers essential information on new medications for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, depression, dysmobility, arthritis and incontinence
- New chapters added on vital topics, such as
- Pain Management and Arthritis Management Includes expanded information on health promotion
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.66(h) x 1.33(d)
Table of ContentsUNIT ONE: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE
1. Primary Care - Richard J. Ham, M.D., Philip D. Sloane, M.D., MPH, Gregg Warshaw, M.D.
2. Demographics - Jim Mitchell Ph.D.
3. Normal Aging - Philip D. Sloane, M.D., MPH
4. Illness and Aging - Richard J. Ham, M.D.
5. Assessment - Richard J. Ham, M.D.
6. The Health Care System - L. Gregory Pawlson, M.D, MPH
7. Minorities - Jerry C. Johnson, M.D.
8. Health Maintenance and Promotion - Neil K. Hall, M.D.
9. Nutrition - Larry Johnson, M.D.
10. Pharmacotherapeutics - Timothy J. Ives, Pharm D
11. Rehabilitation - Laura Mosqueda M.D. and Kenneth Brummel- Smith
12. Ethics - Mary Kane Goldstein, M.D.
13. Hospital Care - Gregg Warshaw, M.D.
14. Institutional Care - Philip D. Sloane, M.D., MPH
15. Home Care - Linda Abbey with Peter Boling, M.D.
16. Palliative Care - Joel Potash, M.D.
UNIT TWO: THE MAJOR SYNDROMES
17. Confusion, Dementia, and Delirium - Richard J. Ham, M.D.
18. Depression and Failure to Thrive - Gene Lammers, M.D.
19. Dysmobility and Immobility - John B. Murphy, M.D.
20. Dizziness - Philip D. Sloane, M.D., MPH
21. Falls and Falling - Scott Mader, M.D.
22. Incontinence - Charles Cefalu, M.D.
UNIT THREE: CLINICAL PROBLEMS
23. Chronic Pain - Jane Potter, M.D.
24. Elder Abuse - James O'Brien, M.D.
25. Alcoholism - James W. Campbell, M.D.
26. Driving - John Christopher Hough, M.D.
27. Vision - Robert Kalina
28. Hearing - George Gates, M.D.
29. Sexuality - Larry Johnson, M.D.
30. Sleep - Jeffrey A. Susman, M.D.
31. The Mouth and The Teeth - Douglas B. Berkey, DDD, MPH, MS
32. The Feet - Mark Kosinski, DPM
33. The Skin - Maria Fedor, M.D. with Marlene Mash, M.D.
34. Pressure Ulcers - Bruce Ferrell, M.D.
35. Cancer - Lodovico Balducci, M.D.
36. Arthritis - John H. Klippel, M.D.
37. Diabetes - richard L. Reed, M.D.
38. The Thyroid - Steven Margolis, M.D.
39. Osteoporosis - Bonny Neyhart, M.D.
40. The Prostate - James Mold, M.D.
41. Constipation - Gregg Warshaw, M.D.
42. Hypertension - Darlyne Menscer, M.D.
43. Congestive Heart Failure and Dysrhythmias - Robert J. Luchi, M.D.
44. Myocardial Infarction and Angina - Patrick P. Coll, M.D.
45. Peripheral Vascular Disease - Douglas C. Woolley, M.D.
46. Stroke - Laura Mosqueda, M.D.
47. Parkinsons - James Q. Miller, M.D.
48. Lower Respiratory Tract Infection - Alice K. Pomidor, M.D.
49. Urinary Tract Infections - David Espino, M.D.
50. The Acute Abdomen - Patrick P. Coll
51. Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Douglas C. Woolley, M.D.
52. Hypo (and Hyper) Thermia - Leonard W. Morgan, M.D.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >