Primary Care of the Child with a Chronic Condition / Edition 4by Patricia Jackson Allen, Judith A. Vessey
Pub. Date: 12/03/2003
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This popular resource provides the necessary knowledge to provide comprehensive primary care to children with special needs and their families. It addresses major issues common to the care of all children with chronic conditions including: the role of the primary care provider; the impact of a chronic condition on the child's development and its impact on the
This popular resource provides the necessary knowledge to provide comprehensive primary care to children with special needs and their families. It addresses major issues common to the care of all children with chronic conditions including: the role of the primary care provider; the impact of a chronic condition on the child's development and its impact on the family, school issues, ethical and cultural concerns; managing care coordination; transition to adulthood; and the financial resources needed to support the child. The book also identifies specific chronic conditions found in children that necessitate alterations in standard primary care practices as a result of the chronic condition.
• This is the only book authored by a Nurse Practitioner that focuses on chronic conditions in children.
• Authors and contributors are actively practicing experts on specific conditions.
• Chronic Conditions chapters include boxes with information on Clinical Manifestations at Time of Diagnosis, Differential Diagnosis, Treatment, Associated Problems, and more.
• Comprehensive summary boxes at the end of all Chronic Conditions chapters review important information.
• A list of resources at the end of the chapters directs the reader to patient materials, national organizations, helpful websites, and additional sources of information.
• A consistent format organizes information according to each condition's: Etiology (including known genetic etiology); Incidence and Prevalence; Clinical Manifestations at Time of Diagnosis; Treatment (including complementary & alternative therapies); Associated Problems; Anticipated Advances in Diagnosis and Management (including advances in knowledge of genetic etiology or treatment); Prognosis; Primary Care Management; Health Care Maintenance; Common Illness Management; Developmental Issues; and Family Concerns and Resources.
• Five new chapters have been added on Care Coordination, Allergies, Bone Marrow Transplant, Mood Disorders, and Tourette's Syndrome & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
• Expanded material presents more detailed coverage of genetic content and complementary & alternative therapies.
• Completely new design and a new trim size make the information more accessible.
• Completely revised with up-to-date information.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 10.66(w) x 9.72(h) x 1.20(d)
- Age Range:
- 4 - 8 Years
Table of Contents
PART ONE: Concepts in Primary Pediatric Care
1. The Primary Care Provider and Children with Chronic Conditions
2. Chronic Conditions and Child Development
3. Chronic Conditions and the Family
4. Family Culture and Chronic Conditions
5. School and the Child with a Chronic Condition
6. Ethics and the Child with a Chronic Condition
7. Care Coordination
8. Financing Health Care for Children with Chronic Conditions
9. Transition to Adulthood
PART TWO: Chronic Conditions
12. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
14. Bleeding Disorders
15. Bone Marrow Transplant
16. Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
18. Cerebral Palsy
19. Cleft Lip and Palate
20. Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
21. Congenital Heart Disease
22. Cystic Fibrosis
23. Diabetes Mellitus (Types I and II)
24. Down Syndrome
26. Fragile X Syndrome
27. Head Injury
28. HIV Infection and AIDS
30. Inflammatory Bowel Disease
31. Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and Juvenile Sponydyloarthropathy
32. Mood Disorders
34. Organ Transplantation
37. Prenatal Cocaine Exposure
38. Renal Failure, Chronic
39. Sickle Cell Disease
40. Tourette's Syndrome & OCD
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >