Principles and Practice of Pharmaceutical Medicine / Edition 2by Lionel D. Edwards
Pub. Date: 06/15/2007
The long awaited second edition of Principles and Practice of Pharmaceutical Medicine provides an invaluable guide to all areas of drug development and medical aspects of marketing. The title has been extensively revised and expanded to include the latest regulatory and scientific developments. New chapters include:
- European Regulations
- Ethics of Pharmaceutical Medicine
- Licensing and Due Diligence
Encompassing the entire spectrum of pharmaceutical medicine, it is the most up-to-date international guide currently available.
Review of the first edition:
“This book was a joy to read and a joy to review. All pharmaceutical physicians should have a copy on their bookshelves, all pharmaceutical companies should have copies in their libraries.”
—BRITISH ASSOCIATION OF PHARMACEUTICAL PHYSICIANS
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.70(w) x 9.90(h) x 2.00(d)
Table of Contents
Preface to the First Edition.
Preface to the Second Edition.
About the Editors.
SECTION I: OVERVIEW OF PHARMACEUTICAL MEDICINE.
1. The Practice and Practitioners of Pharmaceutical Medicine (Anthony W. Fox).
2. Pharmaceutical Medicine as a Medical Specialty (Michael D. Young and Peter D. Stonier).
3. Clinical Research Education and Training for Biopharmaceutical Staff (Peter Marks).
SECTION II: DRUG DISCOVERY AND DEVELOPMENT.
4. Drug Discovery: Design and Serendipity (Ronald R. Cobb and J. Leslie Molony).
5. Pharmaceutics (Anthony W. Fox).
6. Non-clinical Toxicology (Frederick Reno).
7. Informed Consent (Anthony W. Fox).
8. Phase I: The First Opportunity for Extrapolation from Animal Data to Human Exposure (Stephen H. Curry, Dennis McCarthy, Heleen H. DeCory, Matthew Marler and Johan Gabrielsson).
9. Phase II and Phase III Clinical Studies (Anthony W. Fox).
10. Phase IV Drug Development: Post-Marketing Studies (Lisa R. Johnson-Pratt).
11. Site Management (Barry Miskin).
12. Good Clinical Practices (Wendy Bohaychuk and Graham Ball).
13. Quality Assurance, Quality Control, and Audit (Rita Hattemer-Apostel).
14. The Unique Role of Over-the-counter Medicine (Paul Starkey).
SECTION III: SPECIAL POPULATIONS AND REQUIRED SPECIAL STUDIES.
15. Drug Research in Older Patients (Lionel D. Edwards).
16. Drug Development Research in Women (Lionel D. Edwards.
17. Clinical Research in Children (Lionel D. Edwards).
18. Racial and Ethnic Issues in Drug Registration (Lionel D. Edwards, J.M. Husson, Etienne Labb‚, C. Naito, M. Papaluca Amati, S. Walker, R. Williams and H. Yasurhara).
19. Hepatic and Renal Failure (Anthony W. Fox).
20. Drug Interactions (Anthony W. Fox and Anne-Ruth van Troostenburg de Bruyn).
21. Orphan Drugs (Bert Spilker).
SECTION IV: APPLIED ASPECTS OF DRUG DEVELOPMENT.
22. Biotechnology Products and Development (David A. Shapiro and Anthony W. Fox).
23. Pharmacoeconomics: Economic and Humanistic Outcomes (Raymond J. Townsend, Jane T. Osterhaus and J. Gregory Boyer).
24. Pharmacoepidemiology and the Pharmaceutical Physician (Hugh H. Tilson).
25. Statistical Principles and Application in Biopharmaceutical Research (Dan Anbar).
26. Data Management (T.Y. Lee and Michael Minor).
27. Patient Compliance: Pharmionics, A New Discipline (Jean-Michel Métry).
28. Monitoring Drug Concentrations in Clinical Practice (Anthony W. Fox).
29. Generics (Gabriel Lopez and Thomas Hoxie).
30. Complementary Medicines (Anthony W. Fox).
SECTION V: DRUG REGULATION.
31. United States Regulations (William Kennedy).
32. Special US Regulatory Procedures: Emergency and Compassionate INDs and Accelerated Product Approvals (Anthony W. Fox).
33. The Development of Human Medicines Control in Europe From Classical Times to the Year 2000 (John P. Griffin).
34. Medicines Regulation in the European Union (Anne-Ruth van Troostenburg de Bruyn and Giuliana Tabusso).
35. Japanese Regulations (Etienne Labb).
36. Drug Registration and Pricing in the Middle East (Edda Freidank-Müschenborn and Anja König).
SECTION: VI: MEDICAL SERVICES.
37. Medical Affairs (Gregory P. Geba).
38. Drug Labeling (Anthony W. Fox).
39. Drug Surveillance (Howard J. Dreskin and Win M. Castle).
40. Data Mining (Mirza Rahman and Omar H. Dabbous).
41. Risk Management in Product Approval and Marketing (Anthony W. Fox).
42. Publishing Clinical Studies (Anthony W. Fox).
43. Organizing and Planning Local, Regional, National, and International Meetings and Conferences (Zofia Dziewanowska and Linda Packard).
44. Drug Withdrawals from the Market - Causes and Consequences (Ronald D. Mann).
SECTION VII: LEGAL AND ETHICAL ASPECTS OF PHARMACEUTICAL MEDICINE.
45. Introduction to Bioethics for Pharmaceutical Professionals (Andrew J. Fletcher).
46. Pharmaceutical Medicine and the Law (Sara Croft and Timothy Pratt).
47. Pharmaceutical Product Liability (Han W. Choi and Howard B. Yeon).
48. Patents (Gabriel Lopez).
49. Fraud and Misconduct in Clinical Research (Jane Barrett).
SECTION VIII: BUSINESS ASPECTS.
50. The Multinational Corporations: Cultural Challenges, the Legal/Regulatory Framework and the Medico-commercial Environment (R. Drucker and R. Graham Hughes).
51. Advertising and Marketing (Jonathan Belsey).
52. Pharmaceutical Medicine in the East (Gamal Hammad).
53. Financial Aspects of Clinical Trials (R. Graham Hughes and Nadia Turner).
54. Outsourcing Clinical Drug Development Activities to Contract Research. Organizations (CROs): Critical Success Factors (John R. Vogel).
55. The Impact of Managed Care on the Pharmaceutical Industry (Robert J. Chaponis, Christine Hanson-Divers and Marilyn J. Wells).
AppendixUseful Internet Links.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >