Principles of Medical Biochemistryby Gerhard Meisenberg, William H. Simmons
Principles of Medical Biochemistry condenses the information you need into a comprehensive, focused, clinically-oriented textbook. Drs. Gerhard Meisenberg and William H. Simmons covers the latest developments in the field, including genome research, the molecular basis of genetic diseases, techniques of DNA sequencing and molecular diagnosis, and more. An updated
Principles of Medical Biochemistry condenses the information you need into a comprehensive, focused, clinically-oriented textbook. Drs. Gerhard Meisenberg and William H. Simmons covers the latest developments in the field, including genome research, the molecular basis of genetic diseases, techniques of DNA sequencing and molecular diagnosis, and more. An updated and expanded collection of figures and access to the fully searchable text, USMLE test questions, clinical case studies, more online at studentconsult.com make this the ideal resource for understanding all aspects of biochemistry needed in medicine.
- Access the fully searchable text online at studentconsult.com, along with downloadable illustrations, 150 USMLE-style test questions, 20 clinical case studies, chapter summaries, and integration links to related subjects.
- Understand biochemistry, cell biology, and genetics together in context through an integrated approach.
- Get only the information you need for your course with comprehensive yet focused coverage of relevant topics.
- Review and reinforce your learning using the glossary of technical terms, highlighted in the text and with interactive features online.
- Tap into the most up-to-date coverage of new developments in genome research, the molecular basis of genetic diseases, techniques of DNA sequencing and molecular diagnosis, RNA interference as a mechanism both for regulation of gene expression and for anti-viral defense, and more.
- Gain a clear visual understanding through new and updated figures that provide current and relevant guidance.
- Make the link between basic science and clinical medicine with new Clinical Example boxes in nearly every chapter.
Focus on the most essential biochemistry principles and how they apply to clinical medicine
Description: This is a medical biochemistry text.
Purpose: It is written for the medical and possibly other health sciences students. This purpose has been achieved; the book emphasizes physiological and therapeutic/diagnostic aspects of the material, and I have observed few if any mechanisms from an organic chemist's point of view.
Audience: The audience is students of medicine, veterinary science, podiatry, etc., and even undergraduates preparing themselves for medical school. This book is quite appropriate for them; it is written at the appropriate level and contains material of significance for this type of an audience. I noted few significant omissions. The authors have done a good job.
Features: There is a glossary of terms, which is helpful. The index and table of contents are adequate. There are numerous illustrations using various shades of blue and gray. These are useful and adequate. The soft cover has a nice/attractive design on it. The medical student should be able to afford this book.
Assessment: There are some questions at the end of each chapter, most of them multiple choice. If the purpose of these questions is to review the material or to test the student's knowledge, the number of such questions is woefully inadequate. Otherwise, the book is fun to read and I would recommend it as a text for medical biochemistry. On the other hand, there are now so many such books on the market that it is hard to see how this one is superior to most of them (e.g., Roskoski' Biochemistry (WB Saunders, 1996) or Champe/Harvey's Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry, 2nd edition (JB Lippincott 1994).
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 22 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews