Build your next game on a bigger scale with Pro HTML5 Games. This book teaches you the essentials of advanced game programming in HTML5. You’ll learn techniques that you can transfer to any area of HTML5 game development to make your own professional HTML5 games!
Led by an expert game programmer, you’ll build two complete games in HTML5: a strategy puzzle game based on the Box2d physics engine and in the style of Angry Birds and a real-time strategy (RTS) game complete with units, buildings, path-finding, artificial intelligence, and multiplayer support. In the process, you’ll learn how to do the following:
- Create realistic physics in your game by incorporating the Box2d physics engine
- Design large worlds with lots of characters and let users interact with them
- Use sprite sheets, panning, parallax scrolling, and sound effects to build a more polished game
- Incorporate pathfinding and steering to help characters navigate through your world
- Create challenging levels with intelligent enemies by using decision trees, state machines, and scripted events
- Add multiplayer in your games using Node.js and the WebSocket API
What you’ll learn
- Creating realistic physics in your game by incorporating the Box2d physics engine
- Designing large worlds with lots of characters and let users interact with them
- Using sprite sheets, panning, parallax scrolling, and sound effects to build a more polished game
- Incorporating pathfinding and steering to help characters navigate through your world
- Creating challenging levels with intelligent enemies by using decision trees, state machines, and scripted events
- Adding multiplayer in your games using Node.js and the WebSocket API
Who this book is for
Readers who have experience making games in other languages such as Flash and would like to move to HTML5 will also find a lot of useful information in this book.
If you do not feel confident about your game programming skills, don’t worry. This book covers all the essentials needed to build these games so you can follow along and learn to design large, professional games in HTML5. The book will also point to resources and reference material for supplemental learning in case you are having trouble keeping up.
With dedicated chapters on HTML5 basics, the Box2D engine, pathfinding and steering, combat and effective enemy AI, and multiplayer using Node.JS with WebSockets, you should get a lot from this book no matter how much game programming experience you have.
Table of Contents
- Creating a Basic Game World
- Physics Engine Basics
- Integrating the Physics Engine
- Creating the RTS Game World
- Adding Entities to Our World
- Intelligent Unit Movement
- Adding More Game Elements
- CreaAdding Weapons and Combat
- Wrapping Up the Single-Player Campaign
- Multiplayer with WebSockets
- Multiplayer Gameplay