Allan Hirt is a Microsoft Cluster "Most Valuable Professional" living just outside of Boston. Starting as an intern at Sybase in college, Allan has used SQL Server in its various forms since 1992. For the past 10 years, he has traveled all over the world to train, mentor, and work with clients. He has also authored or contributed to publications about SQL Server for various outlets including Microsoft and SQL Server Magazine via whitepapers, webcasts, training courses, and books. He is a frequent speaker at conferences like TechEd and SQL PASS. Allan s website and blog can be found at http://www.sqlha.com and at @SQLHA on Twitter.
Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clusteringby Allan Hirt
Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering is dedicated to the planning, implementation, and administration of clustered SQL Server 2008 implementations. Whether deploying a singleinstance, twonode cluster or a multiplenode, manyinstance cluster for consolidation, this book will detail all of the considerations and pitfalls that may be/em>
Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering is dedicated to the planning, implementation, and administration of clustered SQL Server 2008 implementations. Whether deploying a singleinstance, twonode cluster or a multiplenode, manyinstance cluster for consolidation, this book will detail all of the considerations and pitfalls that may be encountered along the way. Clustering and highavailability expert Allan Hirt shares his many years of wisdom and experience, showing how to put together the right combination of people, processes, technology, and best practices to create and manage worldclass, highly available SQL Server 2008 failover clusters.
- Provides a comprehensive look at SQL Server 2008 failover clustering from the first steps of planning to daily administration
- Goes beyond just SQL Server 2008 and also covers Windows Server 2008 clustering in depth with a SQL Server focus
- Covers how and where virtualization can be used with failover clusters
- Addresses the needs of enterpriseclass, 24/7 SQL Server 2008 implementations
- Written by the leading expert on SQL Server failover clustering
What you’ll learn
- Understand what failover clustering is, how it works, and how it can benefit SQL Server deployments.
- Configure disk subsystems to support failover clustering implementations.
- Plan, implement, and administer Windows Server 2008 clustering for use with SQL Server 2008.
- Plan, implement, and administer new SQL Server 2008 failover clustering instances.
- Upgrade existing SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 failover clustering instances to SQL Server 2008.
- Create virtualized clusters for use in test and development environments.
Who this book is for
This book is for IT administrators and database administrators who are faced with implementing and administering clustered SQL Server 2008 instances. This book is also for those who will be upgrading existing SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005 failover clustering instances to SQL Server 2008.
Table of Contents
- Failover Clustering Basics
- Preparing to Cluster Windows
- Clustering Windows Server 2008 Part 1: Preparing Windows
- Clustering Windows Server 2008 Part 2: Clustering Windows
- Preparing to Cluster SQL Server 2008
- Installing a New SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering Instance
- Upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering
- Administering a SQL Server 2008 Failover Cluster
- Virtualization and Failover Clustering
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.90(w) x 9.20(h) x 1.10(d)
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews