Professional Nursing: Concepts and Challenges / Edition 4by Kay Kittrell Chitty
A thorough introduction to nursing as a profession, this 4th edition updates an always-popular text. The book starts with the history of nursing and its coming of age, and goes on to discuss professional socialization. Written by Kay Chitty along with other expert contributors, it examines the theories surrounding the profession - including role definition, major… See more details below
A thorough introduction to nursing as a profession, this 4th edition updates an always-popular text. The book starts with the history of nursing and its coming of age, and goes on to discuss professional socialization. Written by Kay Chitty along with other expert contributors, it examines the theories surrounding the profession - including role definition, major concepts in the field, finance, culture, the health care delivery system, and the challenges facing nurses in the future.
• Interviews with established and respected professional nurses examine today's issues.
• News Notes use press clippings to show perceptions of nurses and the nursing profession.
• Research Notes offer insights gained from evidence-based practice as well as nursing research.
• Real-life case studies accompany the professional behaviors mentioned in the text.
• Critical Thinking questions and self-development activities help students apply their knowledge, begin their own professional socialization, and develop a personal philosophy of nursing.
• Learning aids include key terms and learning objectives to begin each chapter, and a summary of key points at the end.
• Historical notes and vignettes supplement and emphasize the content.
• The book is updated throughout, with topics including Medicare, the nursing shortage, recruitment and retention, managed care and health reform, plus national health insurance.
• Adds new content on educational patterns in nursing, group communication, nursing informatics, and nursing roles within the community.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.98(w) x 9.84(h) x 0.83(d)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Professional Nursing Comes of Age: 1859-2004
Chapter 2 Educational Patterns in Nursing
Chapter 3 The Social Context for Nursing
Chapter 4 Professional Associations
Chapter 5 Nursing Today
Chapter 6 The Professionalization of Nursing
Chapter 7 Defining Nursing and Nursing’s Scope of Practice
Chapter 8 Professional Socialization
Chapter 9 Philosophies of Nursing
Chapter 10 Major Concepts in Nursing
Chapter 11 Nursing Theory: The Basis for Professional Nursing
Chapter 12 The Scientific Method, Nursing Research, and Evidence-Based Practice
Chapter 13 The Health Care Delivery System
Chapter 14 Nursing Roles in the Health Care Delivery System
Chapter 15 Critical Thinking, The Nursing Process, and Clinical Judgement
Chapter 16 Financing Health Care
Chapter 17 Illness and Culture: Impact on Patients, Families, and Nurses
Chapter 18 Communication and Collaboration in Nursing
Chapter 19 Nursing Ethics
Chapter 20 Legal Aspects of Nursing
Chapter 21 Nurses and Political Action
Chapter 22 Nursing's Future Challenges
Appendix A The Code of Ethics for Nurses
Appendix B Sample Critical Path for Heart Failure
Appendix C State Boards of Nursing
Appendix D NANDA-Approved Nursing Diagnoses 2003-2004
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >