Psychiatric Nursing / Edition 6by Norman L. Keltner
Pub. Date: 10/15/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Learn the therapeutic skills you need to succeed in the nurse’s role in psychiatric care! Psychiatric Nursing, 7th Edition uses a practical approach to psychotherapeutic management that clearly explains how to manage and treat individuals with psychiatric disorders. It emphasizes the nurse’s three primary tools: you and your relationship with/b>… See more details below
Learn the therapeutic skills you need to succeed in the nurse’s role in psychiatric care! Psychiatric Nursing, 7th Edition uses a practical approach to psychotherapeutic management that clearly explains how to manage and treat individuals with psychiatric disorders. It emphasizes the nurse’s three primary tools: you and your relationship with patients, medications, and the environment. This edition adds a new chapter on forensics along with coverage of the latest trends and treatments. Written by educators Norman Keltner and Debbie Steele, this text provides a solid, real-world foundation for the practice of safe and effective psychiatric nursing care.
• Unique! A practical, three-pronged approach to psychotherapeutic management includes: 1) the therapeutic nurse-patient relationship, 2) psychopharmacology, and 3) milieu management.
• Unique! Norm’s Notes offer helpful tips from the lead author, Norman Keltner, at the beginning of each chapter, making it easier to understand difficult topics.
• Nursing care plans highlight the nurse’s role in psychiatric care, emphasizing assessment, planning, nursing diagnoses, implementation, and evaluation for specific disorders.
• Case studies depict psychiatric disorders and show the development of effective nursing care strategies.
• Unique! Putting It All Together summaries are provided at the end of each psychopathology chapter.
• Clinical examples from the authors’ own experiences illustrate concepts with real-life clinical situations.
• Study Notes summarize each chapter’s important content.
• Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter preview the important principles to follow.
• Critical thinking questions help you develop clinical reasoning skills.
• Family Issues boxes highlight the issues that families must confront when a member suffers from mental illness.
• Learning resources on the Evolve companion website include video lectures, psychotropic drug monographs, and NCLEX® exam-style review questions.
• Patient and Family Education boxes highlight information that the nurse should provide to patients and families.
• A glossary defines key terms, providing a handy reference at the back of the book.
• NEW! DSM-5 information is integrated throughout the text, along with updated content and NANDA content.
• NEW! Survivors of Violence and Trauma chapter focuses on psychiatric treatment for individuals with mental illness in sex trafficking and forensic environments, along with the social implications for individuals, families, and communities.
• NEW! Integration of QSEN competencies highlights the competencies relevant to psychiatric nursing care such as safety, communication, evidence-based practice and others.
• NEW! Additional NCLEX® examination-style review questions on the Evolve companion website cover concepts likely to appear on class tests and the NCLEX exam.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
Table of Contents
Unit I: The Basics 1. Me, Meds, Milieu 2. Historical Issues 3. Legal Issues 4. Psychobiologic Bases of Behavior 5. Cultural Issues 6. Spiritual Issues
Unit II: You (Therapeutic Nurse-Patient Relationship) 7. Models for Working with Psychiatric Patients 8. Learning to Communicate Professionally 9. Working with an Individual Patient 10. Working with Groups of Patients 11. Working with the Family
Unit III: Medication (Psychopharmacology) 12 Introduction to Psychotropic Drugs 13. Antiparkinsonian Drugs 14. Antipsychotic Drugs 15. Antidepressant Drugs 16. Antimanic Drugs 17. Antianxiety Drugs 18. Antidementia Drugs 19. Over-the-counter Drugs
Unit IV: Environment: Milieu Management 20. Introduction to Milieu Management 21. Variables Affecting the Therapeutic Environment: Violence and Suicide 22. Therapeutic Environment in Various Treatment Settings
Unit V: Putting It All Together (Psychopathology) 23. Introduction to Psychopathology 24. Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorders 25. Depressive Disorders 26. Bipolar Disorders 27. Anxiety-Related, Obsessive-Compulsive, Trauma- and Stressor-Related, Somatic, and Dissociative Disorders 28. Cognitive Disorders 29. Personality Disorders 30. Sexual Disorders 31. Substance Abuse Disorders 32. Eating Disorders
Unit VI: Special Populations 33. Survivors of Violence and Trauma 34. Children and Adolescents 35. Older Adults 36. Soldiers and Veterans Appendix: Diagnostic Criteria for Mental Disorders (DSM-5) Inside back cover: North American Nursing Diagnosis Association Approved Nursing Diagnoses Glossary Index
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >